The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why do you love this car?

Hittman

Quoting KT:
Quoting MMCVR4:
Quoting 1971:
So why do ya'll love this car?

...and four jack stands...

four ab's...the galant totes a four pack...nahmeeennn?!

jcgalntvr4-244

Whats not to love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

stealthtt24

I'm not sure why. As of late, 1332 has been annoying me with all the problems. I can't wait to sell it, get into a new Genesis sedan, and work on 1635.

GVR47111K

Quoting Hittman:
Quoting KT:
Quoting MMCVR4:
Quoting 1971:
So why do ya'll love this car?

...and four jack stands...

four ab's...the galant totes a four pack...nahmeeennn?!

Adorsey

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Whats not to love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

^Right? This car reflects me, when I see it I see myself.

Edit for spell check.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

I've read so many of these threads, I am starting to think that every one gets something different out of every car and it is impossible to pass on your own 'experience' in a way others will truly understand. I don't get the whole EVO thing. I don't own one and I've never driven anything newer than an EVO IV so I guess I can't and shouldn't compare but on the street, unless you are going full out which gets stupidly dangerous really quick I just don't think the extra performance warrants the huge additional cost. That said I have only really driven short geared, JDM, front and rear plate LSD equipped cars which seem to hold their own pretty well against most EVOs up to around 100 mph after which some of the gearboxes I used ran out of gear.

But that said I really think you have to go to a track to explore the performance differences. On the street there are too many variables. I've run into plenty of EVO and WRX owners who just won't push it. I guess there is too much at risk financially for many of them. My first VR4 was cheap, throwaway performance in my mind. I learned how to 'really' drive in that car because I had no fear of writing it off as long as I didn't kill myself. Ironically, since that car is now my major build car, I will probably end up driving it slower once it is finished because of all the money it has in it, which is kind of stupid.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

^^^

I think you kind of hit the head on the nail. New EVOs and STIs are pretty much track ready out of the box, rather expensive for most. A GVR4 is all the street power I need or want really. If I had more, I'd just get in to more trouble.

If I could pay cash for a new production rally car, I would, but I can't so it's GVR4 for me. I would hate to live with really high car payments and be afraid to get on it or play at all. Cause a new clutch on top of car payments. That would suck.

I'm sure just about everyone has seen this, but a great example of what these new cars can do. click

Really impressive and I'm kind of wondering if those engines are a tad under rated. That thing seems to go to 160 rather easily.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I love this car because it's a piece of mitsubishi history, is affordable, rare, sexy, economical, 4g63 powered, 4 doored, AWD, manual transmission, 29 miles to the gallon capable, reliable, comfortable and easy to drive, takes turns very well, the use of Japanese parts on it, sleeperness, and has V8 killing performance.

The Galant VR4 is a magnificent car, and should be taken seriously. These cars are getting rarer and rarer every day with all these guys parting them out or crashing them.

DynastyLCD

i view the GVR4 as the 4G63-powered vehicle of prestige. in the beginnings of my 4G63 quest, being a broke UTI student, here were my views (which haven't changed much): 1gs were always cool, 2gs were okay, evo's were for rich kids/adults, but the GVR4 always kind of stuck out like a real gem, a unique prize, maybe even a status symbol of sorts among fellow 4G63 guys. there's a few guys around my area who have some pretty fast 1gs and evo's, and it seemed like they were the only ones who ever ended up with the GVR4. to me, it stood out as a status symbol. something that very few people had, and it was a vehicle that only certain people could truly appreciate. when i had purchased mine, it felt awesome. knowing that with that key and keychain plaque, i was just one of a thousand. even my girlfriend would brag about how we had such a limited edition car. it was an experience i feel that just wont ever parallel with anything else i will ever drive in my lifetime. the comfortable feeling of a 4 door sedan, driving around with 3 of your friends, the sunroof, nice leather seats, the list goes on. then, add in the 4G63, a few modifications, and enough mods to get you around 400hp, makes for an unreal experience. i miss my GVR4, come hell or high waters, i will find another one. like brox said, anyone can buy an evo, but the GVR4 is definitely tailored to the owner. when i had those keys in my pocket, and when i was walking out to this boxy, early 90's, 4 door and AWD underestimated beast, i felt that prestigious feeling every time. and i would be lying to all of you if i ever said that i didn't have a smile on my face every time i hopped in and turned the key. i don't know about you guys, but that feeling to me is pretty priceless.

Scott Y

It's really hard to qualify. I've got many years into it, and I know all of the goodies and all of the foibles.
Invisibility on the street is a good thing, and it's nice to have something different at the strip, something that generates interest and conversation after making a decent pass.
I'd like something 'nicer,' sure, but if I put the performance for dollar into the value equation, the spend to get equal performance out of a newer car is silly big.
I used to want an Evo, but they aren't proving to be as timeless as a GVR-4.

transparentdsm

its the first real EVO thats why... everyone who knows what it is wants it and if you dont know what it is after they find out, they want it...

Vr4junkie

Limited Edition Turbo Charged AWD 4Dr car whats not to love plus I bought it for 3000 when working a minumum wage job at the time you dont have to many choses for performance vehicles plus I bought it from the Original Owner and my income tax just came in and figured if i can sell my 93 Sentra SER with in a week ill buy it ended up selling it with in 2 days and busted a mission to San Diego in the Grey Hound couldnt let a chance like this pass away its like it was ment to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but other than that the car handles awsome for a car its age even though its in my drive way waiting to be fixed I dont regret buying it plus reminds me of my old SER

Last edited:

Holy sh*t. ^^^^^ Have you heard of a f***ing period? You know, one of these?---------> .

I woke this fine Friday morn and cranked up some galantvr4.org ('cause I'm still kinda drunk from last night and don't have a damn thing to do today) and it took me about 4 tries to read that sh*t.

GVR47111K

^^^^^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Ripped him a new one! I thought the same thing but it didn't take me 4 times to read it.

Redwood

Quoting thecman02:
My favorite part is the WTF looks I get at gas stations and car meets, or the random people that actually know what it is and give me complements.

this is awesome right here... i have only ramdonly came across a few poeple that new what this car was and all were shock to even see one around..

Well, when i was a kid until 15 yrs old - my family owned a '80 galant. That thing was reliable, easy to work with and i think it looks great. My uncle had a '85 lancer and my other uncle had a '83 lancer. My cousin had a mitsu pick up truck. Can't remember the name of it ATM.

Those '80s galant looks sexy lowered and with watanabe rims or banana type rims.

Prior to moving to Canada, my family stayed briefly in Cleveland. Saw my first '90 Galant GS ever since i left Philippines. I thought it looked purrty. Then moved to Canada a few months later and i saw a 1GB Talon. I didnt know what it was. Searched online and to my surprise it shares a lot of mechanical parts with the Galant/Lancer/Colt.

Then i found a local DSM board. One of the old time members had a '92 VR4. At the time (i was 17/18), the owner took me a ride around the block. And ill never forget this - we were at a stoplight, it turn green. Owner shifted to 1st and rev the engine (which later he told me it had a 2 step), release the clutch and i hang on for dear life. I swear, i was pinned down to my seat, trying to hold the "oh sh*t bar" but couldnt. I didnt even notice the scenery or how fast we were going. Ever since then - i wanted one.

Then a few years later, i found a '92 Galant GS. In mint condition. I bought the galant around 2002, it was a first owner car that had 87,000 KM at the time. And it was lady owned. Had every conceivable receipt i can imagine. Drove the car around the block with my dad and when i came back. I handed the lady my downpayment and told her ill be coming back in the next few days. I didnt modify much (since i was still in college) but i did a few things with it. Installed a 1G shifter base, 1G n/t tranny, axles. I was planning to do a turbo swap until i got into accident on the way to work.

Had a bad frame damage and insurance wrote it off. I was heartbroken. So i bought my 1GA a few months later. Didnt feel the same. I miss having a back seat, A/C and having a quiet car. At the same time, i was looking for another galant. Ive seen a few here and there - but most have been neglected, rotting, and/or needs a lot of work. Fast fwd to now, i bought my 2nd galant 5 months ago. It had most of the things fixed/updated. Has a clean body, 5 lug swap/4 bolt rear end, KYB's shocks, etc. Engine is ok.

Im just buying parts here and there so i can get it ready by Aug/Sept.

I miss my turbo ser! It was a blast to drive and on 7lbs ran a 14.1 at 100 spinning through all of 1st gear and most of second.
One day I opened the door and it hit that point where it should stop, but it kept going. Door nearly rotted off, had to sell it due to ridiculous cancer.

Gizmovr4

After reading all of the posts- Other questions can be answered!

Will the gvr4 ever be worth collecting? Will the value ever increase on these cars? (questions that are always asked)

The answer is “No” . Most of the people that replied here in general only bought a Vr4 because it was affordable. If the price of these cars were to increase most of you wouldn’t want to purchase one! Most of the reasoning for buying these cars is that they offer performance at a very low cost – so modify them- race them but by all means don’t stick them in a garage thinking that some day they will be worth any more that what you paid for them today…

MellowVR4

You never know, The guys in the 60s never thought that their cars would be worth so much restored. Considering they stuck just as much into the car just to sell for that amount in this time of life, But we all do it for the passion. And you never know mayb when these cars are 50 - 60 years old maybe they'll be worth more then you think. Dispite of the money you spent on your car.

turbowop

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
Most of the people that replied here in general only bought a Vr4 because it was affordable. If the price of these cars were to increase most of you wouldn’t want to purchase one! Most of the reasoning for buying these cars is that they offer performance at a very low cost

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Doesn't that describe a bunch of the now highly sought after muscle cars from the 1960's?

Prices on these things hit rock bottom awhile back. Nice examples will command decent coin now and in the years to come, IMO.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts