The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WHITE GVR4s; Under-hood repainting?

Launch

Is it sin to paint the underhood anything other than white? Brand new motor, and trans, and clutch/fly, and turbo setup, and IM, and fuel system, and ... everythings way to clean and nice and new to be just installed back into #395 as dirty as it is.
-Id like to at least respray some of the faded areas, but if i go thru all the trouble of stripping it down what should i use?
-Would a black coating be too much?
-is there a white par15(or whatever its called) that would be decent to use? I guess what im trying to ask is if theres a strong coating i can use underhood that wont look hideous on a white car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks GVR4

TylerAdamson

I think a black engine bay on a white car is an excellent contrast in color. It also helps mask all the dirt and grime when it builds up.

Diego

^ agreed. My hood was replaced by the first owner and the shop didn't paint the bottom of the hood so its red.

citymunky

Flat white?

Launch

flat white might show up to much, and be hard to clean if need be. A semi gloss white and a somewhat flat black come to mind lol. need more research

donkeylips

You can paint white on top of por15 but I don't think it will be like white por15. They sell primers meant specifically to etch into the por15 then be painted over.
I'm very on the fence about keeping the engine bay body color or going black. I'll be doing por15 black on mine because it's a rusty mess for winter use anyway. Having a black car would make for less decision making though.

curtis

Go Panda

dustyduff

My vote is for white. I got the panda look going on under the hood, but it's only from the fortune I spent on powdercoating. It's gonna be a pain in the ass to keep clean, however my car won't see the elements that often.

IMG_4403.jpg

Adorsey

Hey Duff, is your car all done? I thought I saw that picture a while ago... looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would do white, with clearcoat. You bought all those go fast parts, why do you want a slow color? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

dustyduff

Quoting Adorsey:
Hey Duff, is your car all done? I thought I saw that picture a while ago... looks good

Unfortunately, the paint shop is taking their sweet old time with the car. The engine bay is 100% complete and the car is running, but I'm waiting for the car to come back from paint before I can start putting the interior back together. I have a ton of goodies waiting to go on when it's back though. Not much will be happening until spring comes back around. The pic above is an old one of the engine bay. Thanks for the compliment.

dustyduff

Quoting Blown1:
Is that dual afpr I see?

Why yes it is. One for the stock tank and one to the fuel cell in the trunk (running mixed fuels pump/race).

Back to the topic at hand: I personally hate when people paint the engine bay a different color than the rest of the body color. It reminds me of a cheap Maaco paint job when people paint their cars and don't do the door jams. If anything, clean up the sound deadener on the back of the firewall. I removed mine, but if you cleaned it up it might create a nice contrast between the car color.

Last edited:

Launch

YeSSS!
This is the inspiration i need for keeping it fast...ahh... white! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
-What paints and sealers were used?
-Does it clean easily, hold up to heat, grime, etc?

I found a 1600* white paint, used for exhaust,oil pans, rims and other "problem areas" Cleans really well and holds up to alot of abuse. Has a rust neutralizer in it, and seems to be heavy with ceramic(im ASSuming) .... but its a rattle can product, to bad i cant find it in liquid form and use my gun. Would be harder to spray, but it seems lik its all in the prep. Light coats, but even and many.

Im in process of converting my garage into a paint booth via 300sq ft of industrial plastic sheeting and a pusher fan setup under the rear of the car. Cover EVERYTHING and use a respirator.

id like to have it on the ground, with the new turbo setup and clutch, by the end of the month/My Bday. Say it can't be done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

bustedsm

I think I got my stuff from Napa, it's all automotive rated, so I believe it'll hold up to the heat. Even with the top-mount I still haven't seen any warping, or color changes. But, being the idiot I was, it's now very filthy so I'm going to have to redo it and fill some more holes better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts