The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Whining transmission

EfiniX

When I'm coming to a stop and push the clutch in, my transmission lets out a faint, but noticeable whine. I should mention it makes this noise even if I just drop it out of gear, as if it's related to the transmission unloading. It just sort of fades in and out over the space of a second. It also whines while driving occasionally under moderate load at moderate RPM's. The driving whine is obscure enough I can't recreate it.

I've got a stock transmission in what I believe to be good working order. I have a new SS clutch with about 5000 miles on out. No drivabiliy issues, so I've not been worrying about it. Still, I figure asking is always a good thing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

EfiniX

Not leaking as far as I can tell. Haven't checked the fluid, but I will when I change the oil next week.

EfiniX

It would seem to be happening as the RPM's pass through 2k or so

GSTwithPSI

Every DSM/VR4 I've ever owned, driven or ridden in has suffered from what you describe. Even my fwd Eclipse made the same type of noise. Some cars were worse than others, but I feel like that whiney noise is always there to some degree. I think due to the noisy nature of the gearbox, and overall low quality of sound proofing in the drivers compartment makes this a pretty common occourance for these vehicles. In short, the sound you're describing doesn't seem to be something to worry about. How does the car shift?

Last edited:

EfiniX

Shifts fine. Normal chunkiness when cold, but a-ok when warm.

IncorpoRatedX

My vr4 is 100% stock in terms of drivetrain, never been launched, raced or driven hard and at cruising speeds it has some whine to the transmission. If i had a louder than stock exhaust on the car I wouldnt even notice but since the car is otherwise completely and utterly silent, i can hear it.

But I have never owned a silent mitsu gear box. Even my evo had some whine. It's the nature of the gears and the lack of sound deadening that mitsu uses. At least that's my assumption.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts