The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which Donor Vehicle do I want (if there is only one)

maxash0775

Sorry guys, I tried searching this but i found everything but what I wanted. I am looking to do a 5 lug, 4 bolt swap out all at once. i figure while I am down there I might as well get it all done. I also want to keep my ABS (and dont want the ABS light on like i hear from others) and want to keep my 4 wheel steering. Is there a car that has this all in one. Which one am I looking for. Also, does anyone have OEM Evo 18" wheels on there cars? Looking for pics and fitment issues related to it. I am planning a Swap out into evo wheels at the time I do the 5 lug conversion. Trying to keep it "all in the family". Evo 8 Brembos will follow shortly after. Thanks for the input as always. Have a safe and happy new year.

fuel

In short, no one single car has all of that. A 3000GT does have all that but the suspension arms are longer and the diff casing is larger.

JDM VR-4 Evolution has the 4-bolt rear end with 4WS and ABS but does not have the 5-lug setup.
1G(b?) DSM has 4-bolt rear end, 5-lug setup and ABS but does not have 4WS.

So you would want to keep your existing rear subframe with 4WS, fit a 4-bolt diff center into your 3-bolt casing and swap the 4WS pump drive rings over (or somehow just find a complete JDM Evolution 4-bolt 4WS diff), and swap over the 5-lug hubs and driveshafts from the 1G DSM (making sure the donor hubs are from a 1G with ABS).

That's what I make of it anyhow, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Terry Posten

The JDM 4bolt AWS rear diff will most likely not have the correct gear ratio.

fuel

that would be true for the Evolution model, but I'm pretty sure the facelift 89.10 to 90.05 non-Evolution 5MT models would have the 3.545 4-bolt unit. But having said that swapping a crown wheel and pinion isn't the hardest job in the world, but I guess would negate the need for a JDM unit in the first place.

raptorWagon

Don't you need to swap the GVR4 ABS Ring gear over to the 5 lug hub, because the DSM's is a tooth short?

....I think it's in Terry's 5 lug thread actually lol, there was a discussion on it somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

Get a 5 speed 93 Talon TSI. They should be 4 bolt with 5 lug hubs. When you swap it over, take the ABS rings off and swap them on the 5 lug hubs. Then take the GVR4 rear diff housing and swap in the Talons innards while transfering the pump gear ring to the 4 bolt carrier.

You will then have a complete extra set of calipers (all four) as the GVR4 and the Talon use the same units.

maxash0775

That last part with switching innards has got me stumped. Is that something simple enough for the noob or do I need to have someone do that? Thanks for the response.

fuel

You can do the majority of the work yourself but you may need to get the meshing between the crown wheel and pinion setup correctly, any diff shop or mechanic should be able to do that. Basically just apply bearing blue to the surfaces and checking the pattern of the gears meshing together, and then adjusting the shims to suit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned