The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which Aftermarket Downpipe do you use????

strokin4dr

Just want to hear your comments on different downpipes you are running. Do you like it, how does it fit, would you buy again, etc... Anyone using the Megan Racing 1g downpipe?

PJGross

I ordered my Megan recently off ebay. Here are some pics, I'm impressed since it was just over 100 bucks to my door.

This is "pre-modification". I hacked off the only section that was 2.5 since my O2 housing hangs low. I will use the same flange or maybe my Evo3 flange and egg it to flow into the 3" pipe. The bends make it fit just right and the mount point for the hanger is even in the vicinity of right.

https://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=33426&width=400[/img t=_blank]https://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=33426&width=400[/img][/url][/url]

i always assumed the down pipe was the dump?
and the front pipe connect the dump to the cat..?

speedyvr4

I have the megan piece on my dsm and you can't beat it for the price. I would definatly buy one all over again.

speedyvr4

nope. fit like a glove. I modified mine too. I had the muffler shop weld a magnaflow high flow cat to the back,since I'm in smog nazi cali. So I couldn't tell you the fitment wise on the dp to cat side, but from o2 housing to dp, fitment was top notch.

PJGross

+1 on fitment. Those bends look slight in the pic, but they are perfect and needed for fitment. I actually didn't think they would make a difference since I had a straight pipe before, but with the slight bends in the right places you can tuck it much better.

I don't think I could buy the materials and get them welded for the price paid, either. Definitely a good deal all the way around.

(forgot to mention welds- welds all excellent, might not come through in the pics, for some reason one of them did not come up)
-PJ

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Where did you guys buy your Megan downpipes from? The cheapest price that I can find is $165 shipped on ebay. I'm sure there is a better deal out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PJGross

Just so you don't think I'm making this up, my order from ebay was 100 bucks buy it now with shipping and handling at 37, which is a little steep but since it was so cheap for the pipe, I decided no big deal:

8049801242 MEGAN Downpipe Down Pipe 95-99 Eclipse GSX GS-X 1 $100.00 USD $100.00 USD
Shipping & Handling via Standard Delivery
(includes any seller handling fees) $37.00 USD
Shipping Insurance : --
Invoice ID: 7447
Total: $137.00 USD

I guess prices went up? This was in March.
Maybe pricing fluctuates or something, don't know.

Gvr4-330

The 95-99 ones work? I bought a 89-94 GSX Megan downpipe and it was $160 shipped off ebay.

91GVR4

I just picked up a Road Race Enginering EVO 3 bent down pipe to match up to my EVO 3 O2. It fits great, the angles are just right and it tucks up very nice. I got the long version and eliminated the cat. It didn't match up to the rear cat flange. It was just a tad to long so the muffler shop just cut off the flanges, stretched up the pipe, and made it a slip fit. Then they welded it on. I like it and if you have a EVO 3 O2 it fits the funky angle great.

PJGross

I had read in a post on here on the board that the 95-99s work, that's why I ordered one. All bends are in the right places on my car for a tight, snug fit.

I do have a DIY exhaust though so fitting cat-back is where ever it ends up, though I haven't compared early to late side by side to notice a difference. For DPs, I've always read that 1g or 2g will work.

-PJ

joec

Does the Megan downpipe eliminate the cat (long pipe) or is the flange at the "correct" position for a cat or test pipe?

PJGross

what's a cat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

been too long and I didn't have a cat when I started the project.

-PJ

strokin4dr

I went ahead and ordered the 2g Megan downpipe from ebay. You can't really beat it for $135 shipped. I just hope it fits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts