The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where there's smoke, there's...

... My galant not too far ahead. I suppose a compression test is in order. Luckily I've got a spare good engine. And a second vehicle. I've known for a while that the valve seals were saying "see ya later", but this is more than that. In the last two days, it blows a big cloud upon laying down the throttle, and then a light haze as long as I keep it buried. I need to pull the intake off of the turbo and take a look at that, as I've suspected it might be sick as well. Any thoughts?

Adorsey

Swap it out!
Just went for a ride down the highway two days ago, and my oil return line didn't want to hold up I guess. People were switching lines behind me cause of the smoke from the erl hitting the exhaust.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Check/clean/replace your pcv valve before you give up on the motor.

They will occaisionally varnish up on high mileage motors and give the symptoms you are describing.

Quoting toybreaker:
Check/clean/replace your pcv valve before you give up on the motor.

They will occaisionally varnish up on high mileage motors and give the symptoms you are describing.

Its funny that you mention this ^^^. Way back when I was learning much of what I know, I worked for a "seasoned" mechanic. He thought he'd play prankster one day and he stuck a ball from a wheel bearing into the hose between the V/C and the intake pipe on my old Talon. The ball was just big enough that it wouldn't get sucked into the intake, but small enough not to create a huge bulge in the hose. Same symptoms, and I had forgotten all about it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
I only mention it because we're heading into that time of year.

It's cool in the mornings now, so there's considerably more condensation for the p.c.v system to deal with.

If it's varnished up, you can start to see problems like the one you are describing.

Hopefully, it's still the o.e. metal unit, the aftermarket ones are junk.

You can clean it with some carb cleaner.

Just put your finger over one end, and spray a bunch in and shake it. Drain, and repeat untill it clean. You knw it's clean when it "rattles" freely when you shake it. You can gently blow air thru it from the valve cover side, but don't hammer it with compressed air. you'll damge the sealing surfaces of the shuttle valve inside.

After cleaning it. you can test it by blowing thru it both ways. One way should be blocked, and the other way will pass air somewhat freely.

Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the turbo inlet ducting and clean up any residual oil.

Checking the intercooling piping/core for residual oil and cleaning things up may also help cut down on the smoke.

As for the old guy fawkin with you, dont get mad...

... get even...

A long zip tie, firmly secured to the driveshaft with the excess tail wrapped around the driveshaft a few times and then taped down with some electrical tape will provide a wtf moment for the ole geezer out on the freeway when the tape releases at hiway speeds and the tail starts whipping the underbody...

... not that I would know, or anything like that ...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

disclaimer GalantVR-4.org will not be responsible for any and all beatings you may or may not recieve for putting that plan into action. Fawkin with a man's car is a slippery slope!

With this guy, I think I'll pass. He is the smartest, sneakiest little >bleep< I know. He'd take personal pleasure in fawking with me over and over until I begged for a truce. . I'm going to let the sleeping dog lye on this one. My roommate on the other hand...

Are the OEM PCV valves still available? I'm fairly certain mine isn't an original.

Diego

Looks like I will drive to you Sat morning... I got my driveliine to stop the noise so now I "feel" comfortable to drive to Aurora........

I won't have my fender hung as I have been loosing light and freezing my Arse off in 29* nights trying to haphazardly finish in time, what's left to have a runner is install another alt, charge battery and drive.... onto a trailor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Yay me! I'll actually be getting back to denver early enough to swing by the dealer and pick one (PCV) up. It sure would be nice if that's all it takes to fix it.

Well the dealer nearest me doesn't stock it anymore. So I'll have to just clean the one I've got for now. I ordered two and they should be in by wednesday. I also picked up a cheap compression tester. I hate when I can't find tools that I know I've purchased already. Should have some results soon.

Quoting galant1517:
Yay me! I'll actually be getting back to denver early enough to swing by the dealer and pick one (PCV) up. It sure would be nice if that's all it takes to fix it.

what the hell why are you saying yay me? I watch some stupid kids show with my little one a few days ago and some dumb girl always says that crap maybe you shouldnt say it it's kinda girlie.

^^^ Really, your third post is this crap?

Anyway, compression test is done, and it looks like the motor is getting tired. I don't have the right tools to perform a proper leak down but results are:

#1 = 105 psi
#2 = 90 psi
#3 = 100 psi
#4 = 110 psi

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
It's worth noting that those numbers were obtained at an altitude of at least 5200ft.

Even perfectly healthy motors will show lower numbers up here.

The difference from cylinder to cylinder doesn't look so good though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A leak down test will tell the tale

alansupra94

Well number 2 and 4 are the ones that look weird. A leakdown test would provide more information.

boostedinaz

Suck on the compression numbers. Could be a good excuse to rebuild and start with a fresh motor.

Quoting omg150ismine:
Quoting galant1517:

what the hell why are you saying yay me? I watch some stupid kids show with my little one a few days ago and some dumb girl always says that crap maybe you shouldnt say it it's kinda girlie.

Really??? After watching your "intro" thread you are the last person who should be complaining about how people talk. Perhaps you should take your own advice and "slow your roll". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

It's not so bad. Remember the saying "perspective is everything"? I think that this is the perfect opportunity to finally do this right. I've been half-assing most of the maintenance and modifications performed on my car mainly in the name of speed. Apartment life has required that I make the most of my borrowed garage time, resulting in several less than "quality" situations underhood. There are several oil leaks that have gone unattended, a few rigged items (my dump tube comes to mind) and a bunch of things that were never properly repaired from the previous owner. I actually took a great deal of offense to jonvr4 calling my car a "full on hack job", until I calmed down and thought it through. "Full on" was a little much, as he knows only about 5% of the story on my car, and it has come a long way, but he was right. Although there is little on my car that isn't functional, there is a lot on my car that is far from fashionable. The 1st of the year will bring a new residence, with a garage, and hopefully much better wrenching on my part.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts