The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

When did you fall in love with the GVR4

prove_it

I was thinking about my first Gvr4 and got me to wondering about sharing stories. I first bought a GVR4 back in 02 at the age of 18. I had never seen or heard of these cars, but I wanted it anyway. I still remember the classified ad I found. I fell in love immediately, even though it was stock and barely shifted into 2nd, it was still a great car. Going on 11 years of GVR4 ownership and on my second one. Bought both of them bone stock too. Only have been stranded once when a t-belt failed. Really fell in love when I would go out driving the mountain roads in Wyoming and blasting down gravel roads. Still in love to this day. I couldn't dream of getting rid of it. Luckily my wife understands and supports my addiction.

That's my story, I was wondering what's your stories everyone?

gvr4ever

I got mine awhile ago. I was working with people who had 1G and 2G DSMs and I rode in them, felt the AWD and all that on take offs. None were heavily modded or anything, but they were still fun. I was under 25 and I checked insurance cost. Insurance would have been close to car payments. One day, one of them told me about the Galant VR4. After checking insurance cost (it was less then half of a turbo DSM) I started searching for one. I looked for some time looking for the right one. I found one in Indy that drove great, but the lady priced it really high. Turned out, she never really wanted to sell it. Last I heard, she still had it. Anyway, I had to go to Ohio, found a stock one that flipped over to 60K miles driving it home. Ah, back when nice cars were still cheap. From day one, I liked the ideal of cheating the ins company with the exact same engine +2 doors, and having a unknown car. For me anyway, the car is also pretty much ticket proof. I've actually seen cops looking for the fast car at times. I don't do it so much any more, but years ago, I'd drive fast, see a cop and drive normal. They'd look at my car, and keep going.

turbowop

1994, just graduated high school. I was working at the local Ford dealership as a lot kid and washed cars when first brought in off the truck and for new deliveries. We got a KG '92 in on trade. I had to drive one of my coworkers to a physical therapy appointment and I took him in the Galant. That was all it took. I wanted the car so bad, but couldn't afford it at my wage since the car was only two years old.

I ended up finding 1051 at a local used car dealership in '98 though, which is when/where I purchased it.

thecman02

As soon as I learned what it was I fell in love with the car. I was a freshmen in high school looking at cars. I really wanted a Celica All-Trac St185, but they were out of my price range at the time. Still wanting turbo rally car goodness I did some searching and "discovered" the Galant VR4. Ever since I read about it I wanted one but the car was still way out of my price range back in high school. Most Galants back in early 2000's seemed to be going for 7-10k. The wrx and Lancer EVO came out that year too. My sob story was telling my friend all about rally cars and how awesome the EVO was and his parents bought it for him for his 16th birthday. I drove it home from the dealership and showed him how to drive it. At that point in 2003 it would still be 4 years until I got my own turboey goodness. I started making decent money a couple years out of high school. Lancer EVO still selling for 20k+ so out of my price range. Checked on this website for a Galant. A lowererish mileage 88k Galant was for sale in Detroit. It had some modifications I was planning on doing myself for a decent price. I went there and test drove it. Third gear sucked, but it ran out good. I drove it home on a 2 hour journey that was great fun boosting through Detroit on my way home.

ade

i had never seen a galant till summer of 99, when i bought a 92 fwd galant for $200. middle of the week i got a ride in a gvr4. by the end of the week fwd disgusted me, i sold it, and couldnt wait till i found a gvr4. life happened and i never got one.

Then in mid oct of 2011, after hearing me moaning in pleasure while lurking on this site. a good friend said " FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, IF U WANT ONE, GET ONE!!

and my pockets have felt it since...

cheekychimp

Summer of 1996, I'd just been on end of contract leave at the end of my second tour in Hong Kong and as usual had had to vacate my quarter before I went away. I was living in a hotel in Shatin whilst I applied for a new quarter. It was typhoon season and one afternoon just as I got off duty it started pouring with rain. Whilst I was sheltering in the barrack stairwell, waiting for a break in the downpour so that I could get to the train station and go home, a colleague of mine asked me if I wanted a lift.

I jumped at the opportunity, not only because of the weather but because I wanted a ride in his car. I'd heard stories about this "VR4.". It looked like any other four door saloon and if it wasn't for the bonnet vents and the Racing Hart wheels, I'd never have guessed it was a performance car at all. Yet it was supposed to be as quick as an Evolution III and WRX STi. I really, really wanted to find out what all the fuss was about!

A two minute drive in torrential rain around three slippery roundabouts was all it took to convince me that I wanted one and about 18 months later I bought it from him.

Last edited:

prove_it

I'm loving these stories. Funny how we can all remember the details of the first time we saw a GVR4. Sticks in your head.

tsitalon1

2003 - Traded a mint Laser RS Turbo Fwd and $500 for a GVR4 that sat in a field for years. Gas tank was rotted as well as the lines and fuel rail.

10 yrs strong and I've been through 2 dsm's, an Evo X, and a Lexus IS350 - Still love my GVR4 after all these years. It's been one of the most reliable Mitsu's I've ever owned and I just love the looks on unsuspecting victims as you "prevent" their power passes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After all the years and DSM's, I think I like my GVR4 the best because I've kept it mostly stock with just a 16g sized turbo and modest mods.

The GVR4 is my DD car and even if I decide to by a new car, I doubt I will ever get rid of my GVR4.

MellowVR4

First time I ever saw a gvr4 was back in 06 when I was in high school. Down the block from it actually their is a shop that it was parked at, im guess it was one of the guys that worked their. Anyway i had seen pics online of the gvr4 and said damn is that sweet, and when i saw it parked, it was like i saw a unicorn. Fell inlove with it but couldnt buy it because the guy was asking too much for it. The guy saw the glow in my eyes and was kind enough to let me drive it. Car made me feel like i had butterflys in my stomach, i was so nervouse to stall it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I was only 17 at the time and it was an experience to drive it, even if it was just around the block. Two years later i bought my first vr4, and that was somewhat a nightmare. I think back of all of my dsm's ive owned and think... hhmmm ive came along way with the knowledge ive got just by owning these cars. Not only with these cars but pretty much with cars in general, Its true these cars do make you into somewhat of a mechanic, whether u wanted or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif. Dont regret anything, bad or good experiences.

deedo

Probably 2006 or so and my freind, who was really into wrx's and jdm whatnots come cruiusing up to me as im leaving high school. He pulls up in a faded and rough 1991 bg vr4 that i thought was just some junker car(seriously didnt think anything of it). That is untill he told me to get in and took me to the local mexican food place. Lets just say that we took the corners alittle faster than we shouldve(mind you alot faster than i thought the car could go) and after that he told me all about the car. I thought it was great but never saw myself getting beings as rare as they are(at the time they were a bit pricier too)fast foward to 2011 and im in the market for a new car. After searching for a semi performance/fun car i found my ole girl just stiing in LA county just waiting for me. I knew i wanted it from the begginning, but once i test drove it and hit boost i knew i had to have it... Fast foward now and despite this love.hate relation ship between the tallgeese and I, I hope i never sell it and can just hold on it.

Captn

My friends and I talked about gvr4's when I was like 14... Sleepers were the sh*t but I never saw one till, about 4 years ago, I was in IL getting my hondas motor swapped and tuned turned out to be an an overnight say due to some complications.

After finding that out we went over to his buddies house and there it was in the driveway... a 91 bg beauty.

Thing was pretty built and I had never really been in a fast car. He asked if we wanted to go do some awd burners....I was very excited at this point. Thing was so fast I was in the middle of a sentence and he launched I couldn't close my mouth lol. About two weeks later I went back down to IL and bought one for myself. Always will love these cars.

Last edited:

4Grim

1998 at a local DSM meet and a guy brought his White 91 to the meet. He was one of the very 1st in Central Florida to swap to a Evo 3 Big16g at the time. I knew about the Lancer Evo's but never heard about a Galant VR4 and was totally intrigued with its look and the fact it was AWD and had a 4g63t. He took me for a ride and I instantly wanted a GVR4 right then and there. I was living on my own, going to school and working at Nike at the time so there was no way I could afford the car. Took me 6 years after that day to finally own #1948. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PolskiVR4

Back in 2001-2002 when I saw this exact run at the Battle of the Imports series at Route 66. Adam worked for AMS at the time now he has DEVO tuning back up and running. I was only 13 years old at the time but I knew I had to get one. So at the age of 16 I bought one as my first car. Had one ever since.

click

2of9

back in 2003, cousin bought a 1GB Talon. He said there was another sleeper that had the same engine as the DSMs that looked like the Accords in those years. Looked online and there it was, 1992 Galant VR-4. Got a crush on it.

Later that year, my brother's friend was trying to sell my brother his 240sx, low and behold, brother's friend had a white 91' sitting in the garage. Sadly, I do not know what happened to it.

4G63_GSR

I kinda knew about the galant vr4 after graduating high school in 98. Didn't really have much interest. I was actually looking for a first gen sentra SER instead. I found a galant gsr in the local paper and ended up buying it. Why? I dont know. Maybe because it had the awesome air bag suspension. Right after I bought it I started researching galant gsr's. I found nothing but info on VR4's. Oh well. Broke college kid now just worry about gas and such.

Fast forward to 2002/3. Found # 144 locally. Went to test drive it. Bought it and handed the GGSR down to my younger brother. Still broke college kid so just worried about gas and such some more. Finally down with school. sh*t can't find a job. As time goes on I find ways to start buying parts. Bought a new motor, parts, etc. Took the galant apart. Then I found a 2gB talon and well never looked back. Motor and everything is in the talon now. 144 was sold off and probably still kicking around some where in SE WI. Old 144 block was given to LIL EVO at one point. Who knows where that is now.

I still love galants but only if I dont have to wrench on them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMX5636

Mine was looking for a "cool" practical car to replace my built 1G "racecar". I built my 90 GSX and after a year or so of driving it around gutted, loud and laggy, I decided to part the car out, keep some of it, and transplant some of the setup into a glean VR4 shell. I just wanted something more comfortable and had seats for 4 that was still a quick car. To this day, I don't regret anything about the money or time put into this car.

transparentdsm

^ yeah kind of the same thing for me, mine was around 2011. i was looking into a 99 or so a4 because i still wanted turbo and awd, but i hated driving a 1g with no interior and not very daily friendly and even if it had the interior you can only fit 2 people in it. i was looking on-line just in the general area looking at "AWD" and i found someone selling a vr4, i had seen one before a few years earlier and from being into dsm i had know what it was and always wanted one but never found one when i was looking for one. i took the 2 hour drive and fell in love instantly, found a few leaks and low balled the dude with a 2000$ offer and drove it away. since then i have always had one and probably always will. i mean i still love the 1g and owned one till about last year, but the vr4 was the best thing to happen to me. im glad i got rid of the 1g and the 2g that i had, this is more fun, less attention and a way more comfortable ride.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

back in 96, 97 as i was cruising through used car lots, i noticed the first GVR4 i ever seen. I didn't know much about it, but the VR-4 badge caught my eye, and I remember thinking it looked pretty sharp- i know most guys don't think our cars look good. But it was a shiny green one with only 80k on it in a Chevy lot. I opened the hood and sat in it and everything. This was before i had consistent internet access..had to go to my friend's house for that, only having seen it in Sport Compact Car magazine and i think a page from RRE on them. Didn't get to drive one til a couple years later...affordable, and had done some homework by then...but wasn't convinced to get that particular one. Fast forward to 2004, after having lost my Maxima, I narrowed my choices down to #372/2k in Des Moines for 4500, or a 87 GN with 0 miles on a rebuilt motor in Detroit for 6k. On the day my friend was driving me to pick up a car, I decided which way to go. The GN was always my realistic dream car, but I wanted a pristine one, and didn't want pop my turbo cherry on one. I truly fell in love w my VR4 when a few weeks after getting it, i drove it from Chicago to DC for a wedding. I planned on going 60, 65 the whole way, but when I got into Pennsylvania and found myself on the winding, rolling hills I kicked it up to 85, 90. Drove it to DC then back without a hitch...then a couple months later I started to learn the hard lessons of owning a VR4. I will always remember that trip, cause i left the night after the girl I thought was the one for me rejected me.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Met Andre from Pina Motorsports back in 97 or so, when I still lived in Washington State. He brought his car out to a Porsche Club Autocross event that I was attending with some of the NWDSM guys. At the time, I was all about my Talon, so the GVR-4 didn't really catch my eye at the time.

A few years later, back in Texas I got the opportunity to pick up 1954/2K and save it from its previous owner. I traded a well running 90 Eclipse GS-T for a basket case GVR-4 and spent many long nights, and days piecing it back together and undoing years of neglect and asshattery. I still loved Talons, but the GVR-4 wormed its way into my heart like some kind of stray dog that follows you home.

After getting it sorted out and looking a lot better, I decided I wanted to build a car that was a little more track oriented, rather than street oriented. Because I didn't want to cut and hack up a nice solid car, I sold it to make room for a 90 Talon TSi/AWD. After I sold the car, I watched the new owner drive off and resigned myself to the fact that I would probably never own one again.

A few years later I picked up 521/1K from the 2nd owner in Colorado, intending it to become a lightly modded "daily driver", which didn't go according entirely to plan. A lot of parts from that 90 Talon made their way onto this one.

So, yeah....I blame Andre for all this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts