The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's the dumbest......

dsmless

So what's the dumbest/ laziest thing you have ever done on your
car that came back and bit you in the ass......

Me for being lazy when I spliced my maft in I was to
lazy to wrap them in any tape or nothing just bent them
away from each other so when they decided to play tag
my trandlator box is shorted so missing
a $2 tape=85 bucks for a translator box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Barnes

Built a custom exhaust using mild steel hangers and welding wire. The pipe and bends were aluminized. I finished the exhaust at night at work, and didn't want to take it back off to paint it. I never got around to painting it. So now it is a rusty hulk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

broxma

I am happy to say I have thus far not cheaped out on much of anything, at least nothing that has bit me in the ass as of yet. Will keep you posted.

/brox

BrandonEchols

Quoting twonineseven:
Modifying my DSM's and vr4 lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

+1 on not using a MLS after rebuild /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Barnes

Quoting twonineseven:
Modifying my DSM's and vr4 lol

Oh man, this post is so full of win. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

AnotherNewb

Quoting Dbossman:
+1 on not using a MLS after rebuild /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I remember that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rgeier11

I had a bolt for the power steering bracket that broke off one time. I just used a smaller bolt so the threads wouldn't reach the broken bolt. About a week ago, I went to take off that bracket to install a new exhaust manifold and broke off the new bolt I had used.

Now, I needed to drill out both of the old bolts:
-The drill did not fit in the engine bay.
-I needed to remove that engine bracket to drill the bolt.
-That involved moving the water pipe (led to removing water pump, timing belt, accessories, etc)
-Broke off a drill bit into the bolt
-Finally got it all out

End result, 6 hour exhaust manifold swap.
Hahaha

524of1000

Telling myself I was not going to rusha and was going to get it running in stock form first. Yeah, that lasted about a week. now it's JSB for 1 yr 7 mo and 15 days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DR1665

Momentary mental retardation.

Lying under the car, just drained the oil. Looking up at oily sheen all over everything, I know the oil pan gasket needs replaced.

But it's hot and I'm tired and I don't feel like dropping all that sh*t to get the pan off today.

What's this? That little section of rubber hose next to the oil filter sure looks raunchy. Maybe it's the cause of the oil all over the place down there. Since there's no oil in the pan, I'll just take my knife and slice that little f***er right off while I'm right here next to it...

I had driven the car to get the oil, by the way.

I launched 1517 one night several years back and snapped a rear axle at the diff. My friend was following me in his galant, which means I could have parked it and rode with him to go get the trailer. Instead I drove it home(over 30 miles) and destroyed the tranny less than a mile from the house. That started a frantic parts search that only yielded a fwd tranny which led to a couple of years of galant vr2 status, in which I managed to lose all of the necessary nuts and bolts that hold the t-case on and that hold the driveshaft up. One axle and some diff fluid turned into two trannies, a flywheel, a new diff, axles, and several trips to the junkyard. .

JackbNimble

Instead of taking my exhaust to a professional to get the leak fixed, I just unbolted it and gave it to an acquaintance who welded a new piece of pipe in for $30. However, he welded the catalytic converter on uneven, so I have to take speed bumps slow or else it will hit. Long story short, I hit a bad speed bump and my exhaust is now worse than ever. I chalk that one up to me being cheap and it biting me in the ass.

As for probably the dumbest thing I did was when I was too broke to afford new tires, so the ones I were driving had the wire threads showing through on all four tires. Not exactly my smartest move. So anyway, I was driving down this road, went slightly off the side of the road and when I went back on, both my right side tires blew. Along with bending a rim. That was a lesson learned quite well.

Last edited:

After hanging a new exhaust hanger let the jack down
with the jackstand still under the car ouch!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

poppin3000

taking out cruise control @ night with only an iphone for a flashlight.

20 minute job ended up taking 2 hours because of the damn clip at the top of the gas pedal.

Went to remove my comp sub setup from my old car the night I was suppose to leave for a road trip, right after I played a show. Forgot to turn off the breaker and accidently ended up frying my 4-way amp for my door speakers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif The 11 hour straight drive on no sleep didn't go so well in complete silence. 28 hours of driving with no music and a fried amp, because I forgot to flip a stupid breaker when I was in a hurry. Luckily I was a dealer for American Bass at the time and cool with the owner so he just gave me a new one and said be more careful when I was in a hurry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts