The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What you would like made in Carbon Fiber

381gvr4

Quoting galantgti:
Quoting 381gvr4:
Ive been saying hvac plastic for jdm auto climate control....... From rhd to lhd.

Not possible. Grab a pic of the jdm climate control and compare it with the shape of your dashboard.... If you change the hvac plastic, it doesn't fit anymore. I've been there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That exact reason is why you would need a custom piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Our unit points left and jdm points right. If I had both, I could cut em' up to make the mold!

Quoting 381gvr4:
Quoting galantgti:
Quoting 381gvr4:
Ive been saying hvac plastic for jdm auto climate control....... From rhd to lhd.

Not possible. Grab a pic of the jdm climate control and compare it with the shape of your dashboard.... If you change the hvac plastic, it doesn't fit anymore. I've been there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That exact reason is why you would need a custom piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Our unit points left and jdm points right. If I had both, I could cut em' up to make the mold!

Look again. You can't make a unit pointing left, with that ECC pointing right in it. You would have to change your entire middle dash. Take a good look and you'll see what i mean.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting BoostedAWD91:
I have been talking to a guy who makes custom carbon fiber pieces for DSM's and 2Gs and i talked to him about producing some parts for the Galant Vr4 crowd.

How about some pics or a link to something they've already made?

Quoting BoostedAWD91:

Since their are already people making hoods and trunks for our cars, i need some ideas that you guys would like to see made that hasnt been made yet.

How about a carbon fiber shift key? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl2.gif

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
Please give me your thoughts and ideas and once i get a good amount of ideas, ill put up a poll to pick up some of the most popular pieces and work on having them produced for us.

How about pics or a link to something they've already made?

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
yes i know, he is going to make one or two things for for cost of materials and if they turn out good he will start making more

How about pics or a link to something they've already made...

Every few months we get somebody "promising" something kewl in a group buy.

Everybody gets all excited...

Only to get let down by problems with delivery timeframes, or quality issues.

It's a pattern that's been repeated too many times.

My suggestion would be

Don't tell me what you're going to do, show me what you've done

p.s., if you make a carbon fiber shift key, please send one to Curtis for field testing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a hood and trunk covered and those are the big weight savers so anything else is just fluff imo. Ken's idea of a sunroof delete panel would be cool but I like my sunroof and personally I wouldnt get one.

NateCrisman

I second the sunroof delete panel. That should be relatively easy to not screw up, and get "get the foot in the door" with this group. I would buy one for sure since I'm a crazy weight cutter.

slugsgomoo

Seems like an entire cf roof panel (like AMS does for the evos) or just cutting out the panel and just welding in aluminum rather than just a sunroof plug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If you're really serious about weight that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting belize1334:
How about a CF COP plate?

I like this idea, as well as a timing cover.

SmoothCustomer

How about a removable panel, like 1g non power sunroofs. It wouldn't have to flip up or anything but it would be cool if you could take it off on nice days.

Rausch

Quoting toybreaker:

p.s., if you make a carbon fiber shift key, please send one to Curtis for field testing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carbon fiber scroll wheel for your mouse- Call it the 'Toybreaker post+"

fivestardsm

Quoting Red_Bird:
Spark plug cover in carbon would be nice as well.

They have been for sale for quite some time.. click

click

click

Last edited:

Whoodoo

Holy dollar $ign$ Batman! Materials can't cost more than $20 and you could bag up a decent amount of those and do em in one go so its not too labor intensive... I should get into the carbon business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Quoting fivestardsm:
Quoting Red_Bird:
Spark plug cover in carbon would be nice as well.

They have been for sale for quite some time.. click

click

click

Oh, well fancy that. I figured they would of been out there, just couldn't find one.

Also is 386 customs still around? I can't get a hold of them at all and their site is down. Anyone know?

curtis

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Seems like an entire cf roof panel (like AMS does for the evos) or just cutting out the panel and just welding in aluminum rather than just a sunroof plug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If you're really serious about weight that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I need to get me a dissimilar metal welder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

Quoting curtis:
Quoting slugsgomoo:

I need to get me a dissimilar metal welder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually its called fuseing instead of welding oh...wait.

Anyway, speaking of disimilar metals, I was welding up my intercooler brackets last year and managed to get a piece of stainless tig rod in the aluminum tube and started welding with it. Well I was tired enough that I didnt care when the arc started dancing and I just poured the amperage to the weld. I was getting pissed, and i didnt even realize it until after I made a complete double pass, that the filler was the stainless instead of the aluminum.

I tried to brake the weld apart thinking it would just pop apart kind of like when you weld aluminum to magnesium, (frickin ford transfer cases) but it wouldnt budge. I beat the crap out of it, and the ended up cutting it apart. I tossed it and started a new one becasue of the cross contamination, but I can gurantee it would have held as long as the rest of the car woill survive.

BoostedAWD91

here is a link of some stuff these guys have made. this is one of the guys i have been talking to about making some things.
click

Last edited:

RedTwo

CF travel case for JSB keys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
CF A and B pillars, eye brows, glove boxes (these are surprisingly heavy!), intake manifold, cold air box, wheels, tyres (wait a sec...), doors (66+ bs a pop!)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts