The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What to expect to pay for timing job

akujiki1987

Hey guys, been looking to get my Timing done soon. Though costs seem to be pretty high from the couple of shops I got estimates from(one being 800$-1k the other 1300$). Is this average for this car? I remember getting head work done with all timing components done on my moms 3g eclipse for 800$ about 3 years ago.

gvr4ever

It just depends on the shop and probably location (property cost). Most shops around me seem to charge $85 an hour. Some shops charge more for imports and all generally charge for more German cars.

I found a great shop near me that got 5 star reviews. People drive from far away for him. I guess the Miata club of Indy all use him to set their cars up. Anyway, he only charged $300 to fix a broken lift bolt on a 2ZZg3 engine. Dealer was $1200
Look around. I found this shop by accident looking for something else on google maps.

Most people on this forum change the timing belt in the garage, so you might have trouble finding what others have paid.

akujiki1987

Thanks for the info. I really have a hunch that these couple of shops ive spoken to are charging more because of the "rarity" of the VR4. Ive heard from others they charge less on regular DSM, which if I am correct is the same exact procedure.

Eztoril

If you are willing to drive to Van Nuys, I would recommend Chai at C&A automotive. He did my timing belt for my beater which I didn't feel like doing myself. Charged me around $400 and I brought my own parts. It was a 2.4 liter kia almost same motor as an evo. He works on lots of 3KGTs and other Mitsubishis.

Here is his number. 8189019757

slugsgomoo

Quoting akujiki1987:
Thanks for the info. I really have a hunch that these couple of shops ive spoken to are charging more because of the "rarity" of the VR4. Ive heard from others they charge less on regular DSM, which if I am correct is the same exact procedure.

It's the exact same as the 1g DSM. If you're willing to do it yourself, even using all brand new OEM components (which I recommend personally) would be a small fraction of that. If you go under the "Engine" section on VFAQ there's a whole section for how to do a timing belt in a 1g, with pictures, steps and parts needed.

if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself I'm guessing that it isn't too cheap because shop rate is going to be 85-120/hr (honestly can't remember what book time is for this job).

When you're in there, I'd be replacing:

Timing belt
Tensioner
balance shaft belt (if not deleted)
Water pump

akujiki1987

Its more of a time constraint mixed with lazyness haha. I already ordered the timing kit and will be replacing the water pump, tbelt,bs belt, and pulleys, as well as the other belts just for the hell of it. I got a quote for 600 labor from another guy so I am probably going to go that route.

gvr4ever

Unless you just can't, I'd do it yourself. You control the quality of the work. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s, one of my co-workers took a DSM to a shop for a timing belt job, and they did it wrong and it destroyed the engine.

Unless you already have a trusted established mechanic, you never really know what your getting.

Mechanics generally are rushed. It's difficult to find someone who gives two shits about your car.

Eztoril

100% true. Don't take it to just anyone. Most of the failures I've seen are people trying to set the eccentric pulley tension without the tool and later the belt jumps. It can be done without the tool from someone who knows how to set the tension properly. I recommend C&A because they are a "Mitsubishi" shop. I have nothing to do with them no affiliation and not pushing you taking it there but they def know how to work on 4g63s and 6g72s.

BTW - Are you going to change out the hydraulic tensioner, crank seal, cam seals?

akujiki1987

Quoting gvr4ever:
Unless you just can't, I'd do it yourself. You control the quality of the work. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s, one of my co-workers took a DSM to a shop for a timing belt job, and they did it wrong and it destroyed the engine.

Unless you already have a trusted established mechanic, you never really know what your getting.

Mechanics generally are rushed. It's difficult to find someone who gives two shits about your car.

The local guy I found has four 1g's (NT,GST,GSX and one race car) so he's pretty knowledgeable on the motors.

akujiki1987

Quoting Eztoril:
100% true. Don't take it to just anyone. Most of the failures I've seen are people trying to set the eccentric pulley tension without the tool and later the belt jumps. It can be done without the tool from someone who knows how to set the tension properly. I recommend C&A because they are a "Mitsubishi" shop. I have nothing to do with them no affiliation and not pushing you taking it there but they def know how to work on 4g63s and 6g72s.

BTW - Are you going to change out the hydraulic tensioner, crank seal, cam seals?

I was not planning on the seals but I DID get a new tensioner OEM as from what I gather thats one of the most important pieces of the kit. I will still look into C&A but that is a bit of travel for me(im basically on the border if riverside and SD county. The guy I found is in SD so Ill compare the distances.)

Last edited:

ApexHunter

Socal is blessed with a bunch of 4G63 specialty shops, but since it is Socal, rent is high and that is generally reflected in the hourly rate. You've likely heard of Road Race Engineering...they are up in Santa Fe Springs, which is just a little cruise up the 15 and across the 91. Well worth the trip. Collectively, they've probably done more 60k/120k jobs than all the other shops around here combined. I think Mike started working on these in 93 or 94.

Last edited:

akujiki1987

I was actually talking to Road Race Engineering as I used to go to Road Race Motorsports for my ralliart years ago. But sadly it seems the guy I was talking to blew me off. He had asked for a few pictures and some info, I gave it to him and never heard back, then he stopped replying to my emails and calls. So that pretty much sealed that for me haha.

Eztoril

I just called Chai at C&A, he said bring the parts and he will do the labor for $300. Complete service includes changing the seals. Dang that's even less than what I paid haha. I know it's a little outta your way but they do good work and it shouldn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

akujiki1987

Dude holy crap thank you! Ill give them a call on my lunch break! I believe I have a triple A tow available to get the car up to him!

Eztoril

I also know a guy who can transport the car for you if needed. He has a covered trailer, cheap compared to a tow truck and he's a Marine vet. Always like to help out anyone who has served. Might as well give you his number too lol.

Chuck is his name.

akujiki1987

You are the hero of the month haha. I will hit him up if I need him. Worst case I can drive the car up there and it is in running order. When it comes to the seals m assuimg Ill need TWO cam seals, but the crank seal is this one the "front" or "rear" that will be changed out?

Eztoril

I enjoy helping others thank you. You need the front main seal

akujiki1987

Awesome, thanks so much! I just spoke with Chia, he also recomended the grab the oil pump seal as well so Ill be adding that to the list. Really cool guy!

akujiki1987

Quoting Eztoril:
I enjoy helping others thank you. You need the front main seal

One last question, should these seals all be OEM? I know certain parts on these cars should always use OEM was just curious if these seals are one of them. I am able to get non OEM a little quicker and cheaper but dont want to risk it if theres are OEM musts.

EDIT: I just went OEM, not worth the few bucks saved if they turn around an leak.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts