The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What to expect after spun rod bearing

belize1334

Well I picked up the '90 TSI that I mentioned in the General Discussions Forum. I haven't yet decided if it's a fix and sell or if I'm gonna pick the bones. The owner's assessment (and I have to agree after hearing the motor while we were loading it on the trailer) is that it's got some NASTY rod knock...probably a spun bearing. He said that he found metal in the motor oil when it first happened. So the question is, what kind of damage can I expect it to have caused to other parts of the engine. I'm thinking that the crank MAY be reusable but since it was "polished" but an unknown builder I'm tempted to just write it off. I'm more concerned that the metal may have worked it's way through the oil passages and clogged/scored various surfaces. Cam journals come to mind. It also has a '90 OFH and I'm thinking I might have to ditch the heat exchanger which is likely filled w/ metal at this point.

The owner says that it happened shortly after installing ARP everything on an engine refresh. Oddly, he DID resize the rods but DIDN'T reline the mains. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Things will be tricky, but alot of stuff is still salvagable. On mine, I tore everything down, sh*t-canned the crank as it was out-of round. Oil pump was scarred up a little bit so it got canned, metal in the OFH and in the aftermarket oil cooler. The cams looked fine though. The metal killed the turbo bearings. I hot-tanked the head, the block, the oil-cooler. Just pretend you're a tweaker and there's bugs hiding in there and CLEAN.

prove_it

^1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
I felt like a tweaker when I spent about 15 hours cleaning all my enigne pieces.

Wizardawd

Sometimes you can get lucky and a supposed spun rod bearing is actually a spun BS bearings. The damage isn't as severe, but the sounds are very similar and sounds like the same place too. Will also leave metal shavings in pan. The one i recall, other than the spun BS bearings, the piston/rods have starved a little for oil and they were almost locked up. Motor was rebuilt and doing fine today.

That and it's not that common for a 6-bolt to spin a rod bearing.

WIz

belize1334

Thanks for the input. I'll just have to play it by ear and see what it looks like once it's pulled apart.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts