The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What timing belt for 4g64/4g63 hybrid

teamhightower

Hi board,

Had a 4g64 block / 4g63 head hybrid motor built a few years back. The shop is no longer in business, but I need to know which timing belt you use for this combo.

Thanks in advance,

strokin4dr

Don't people use the '94 Galant DOHC 2.4L timing belts for those setups? Seems like I read that before.
Anyone else know for sure?

strokin4dr

LOL, I'm a slow typer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

89Mirageman

It's a 94 like mentioned above. The only year the Galant GS with the DOHC head was made.

362Ryan

I've been told by two trusted sources (guys that have actually built 2.4s) that you can run a standard 4g63 belt if you have adjustable cam gears and two idler pulleys.

89Mirageman

I've read that too, I think you have to grind the tensioner arm a little or something like that. My only question is why if the 2.4L belt is still available. I guess if you wanted a Gates or HKS belt or something that is only made for the 2.0?

362Ryan

It all boils down to availability. If you can find a quality 4g64 belt go for it.
Or you can run a setup where you can run down to autozone and pick up a Gates anytime you need one.

turbohf

Quoting 89Mirageman:
It's a 94 like mentioned above. The only year the Galant GS with the DOHC head was made.

this is whats on my motor...

teamhightower

Thanks all. That is what I remembered, but wasn't sure if there were options.

Board scores again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

thruarod

I have a Mitsubishi belt on my car from the 4G64 DOHC. It has one extra tooth I think 164 instead of 163 I THINK

belize1334

Your best source for 2.4L DOHC hybrid engines is right here!
Summary: The timing belt you want is MD182292

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts