The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What tells the fuel pump to run/ dumb cold start drama

presterone

SO your ecu wasn't providing ground on the coil side of that relay maybe? white with red tracer from connecter C11 should be ground from the ecu correct?

turbofonz

Jumping that wire and it stays running.

I suppose I'll dig out my 1g and pull the ecu out of it and use that while I send this one in to ECMtuning.

Last edited:

turbofonz

Well the cars been my daily driver since November, I know it works. but cold starts are where it has its issues. Whether or not this will fix my plug fouling, I'm not sure , but it's clearly an issue.

After seeing the diagram , there isn't much to go wrong.

turbowop

Why are you running BR7es plugs on a stock car? That's what I run on my modded meth-injected car. Throw some BPR6es back into it.

turbofonz

Because it's what I had and I'll never use them on my other car.

turbofonz

They'll be something to look at if there's still issues, but that's not what this thread about.

And as long as I've been driving 4g63's (daily since 05), they've always had 7/8 range plugs and never had cold start issues.

turbowop

I guess if it's what you had on hand, may as well use them. But for ten bucks you could throw in some stock heat range plugs and not have to question whether or not that's part of the problem. I daily'd 503 for four years with BPR7es in it and it was fine as well, but it was also modded with a 16g running 20ish psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbofonz

They were "in stock" and new, and I hate having unused parts laying around (and have way too many in the first place).

Modded or stock, Plug temp range shouldn't matter on a cold start/ part throttle cruising. Unless they're cold cold plugs, but even my talon on e85 starts right up on 8's, no matter how cold it is out.

The car will get iridiums if it ever gets modded far enough to warrant spending money on them in a 7 heat range. I can't recommend iridium enough after using them.

Tommyd

Plug temp range is a huge deal on start up/cruise. Granted 7s aren't terribly cold, but for a stock dd that doesnt get driven hard often you could fowl them out pretty quickly. Which leads to starting issues. That may or may not be the issue now, but for

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbofonz:

The car will get iridiums if it ever gets modded far enough to warrant spending money on them in a 7 heat range. I can't recommend iridium enough after using them.

That's curious to me, as I've experienced just the opposite with iridium plugs in the 4G63T. They always seemed to perform sub par compared to the NGK copper cores. For the price and proven performance, it's hard to beat a set of NGK plugs.

Last edited:

turbowop

I tried Denso iridiums back in '02. Hated them. The car never ran right. Cheapo NGK coppers have been my favorite before that and ever since.

turbofonz

My cars have ran way cleaner (smoother... you start the car up and it just sounds "cleaner") with iridiums and they take to higher boost better than coppers. I had high boost missfire issues with my 1g , put iridiums in, and it cleared right up. The same plugs have been in that car for over 2 years now, and still runs @40psi without a hiccup.

They're around $35 shipped from rock auto, really not that expensive, and never worrying about plugs is nice.

turbofonz

And just because the car is stock, doesn't mean it doesn't get driven hard. I did a snow rally x 2 weeks ago and I wasn't easy on the car at all lol. I've only put 3000 miles on the car so far. Plugs don't have any weird coloring or look too cold.

slugsgomoo

so since there's clearly an issue around the relay or ecu (since you test with the firewall connector was fine) have you inspected the ECU? If it's never been repaired, I'd bet money that it has issues and could use a good going over.

turbofonz

New relay did nothing. Fixed the wiring, put another ecu in and it started right up with no fuel pump on when key is on. This problem is fixed. ECMtuning will be taking care of the ecu issue.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What does ECM Tuning typically charge for ECU repair? I have one I need to send in too.

turbofonz

Depends what repair is needed. I think its $90/hr in 10-15 min increments.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned