The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is the Best Way to Remove motor mounts

Vr4junkie

just bought some motor mounts what would be the best and easyiest way to remove the inside of the motor mounts.

gramkrakr89

the hacksaw method works great if you're patient and careful... used it myself.

The idea is to chuck the mount in a vise, slip a hacksaw blade through the inside of the mount, tighten the blade back on the saw, and cut out the majority of the rubber. Then carefully cut the metal sleeve around the original rubber until it gives way. Be careful not to cut into the outer mount. You can then remove the inner sleeve w/ the rubber with a hammer + chisel or whatever.

I'm sure there's a decent writeup about it somewhere. Its pretty straight-forward, and if I can do it, anyone can... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

ok i might just have to try that method I was going to try to use a torch and burn it out but might be a little messy I might just wait and barrow my friends Hack saw

gramkrakr89

yeah, the rubber comes out much easier by burning, but you still need to cut the inner sleeve that the rubber is attached to.. I just soldiered through without burning and used plenty of cutting oil for the inner sleeve (WD40). It didn't take long..

Then you can use the vise to press the new bushings in, too. ( This is pretty much required for the front mount, since it's not split.

good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned