The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What gauges to run?

CarRacer

I purchased a radio gauge panel so I have a place to mount my wideband gauge finally. The panel has three spots for gauges and two are empty right now. The car has an A pillar with two gauges in it, a boost/vacuum gauge and an oil pressure gauge.

What should I put in the radio panel? I'm 90% on a volt meter gauge, but unsure on the other one. I was thinking about an oil temp gauge, but I'm already running a cooler. EGT doesn't seem like a good choice for me as I wouldn't really utilize it.

Any opinions? Thanks for any input.

CarRacer

I have a fuel pressure one already under the hood mounted to the FPR. The water temp is a good idea but seems a little redundant with the crappy one already in the dash. Good suggestions though.

The dash gauge is not the most accurate for water temp. Even having a fuel pressure gauge in the car is good 'cause you may notice if you go lean for some odd reason. Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:

Lonewolf64

Knowing Wideband O2, Oil Pressure, and Water Temp you'll be able to spot 95% of problems before it's too late. I guess a Volt gauge will be ok knowing that these can have alternator issues.

fivestardsm

You could always pick up a EGT guage for a reasonable price if you are just looking to fill the hole with something usefull.

I run boost, volts. water temp and AEM wideband.. Pretty much covers it all IMO. The only thing I may add is oil temp or pressure??

Last edited by a moderator:

Volt meter has helped me spot alternater issues so that gets my vote. It's hard to decide on the last but I'd go with water temp as it's more accurate than the factory gauge. No need for egt or fp gauges as the wideband covers those already.

TWEAKD4

Oil pressure for sure. Unless you want to trust your engine to the idiot light.

grocery_getter

^^^^^^
He already have an oil pressure gauge.

I would go for coolant temperature. The gauge on the dash is super slow response. The factory gauge wont move till its too late.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting mac515:
I run boost, volts. water temp and AEM wideband.. Pretty much covers it all IMO. The only thing I may add is oil temp or pressure??

Not to thread jack, but you want an OP gauge. Our cars only have that stupid stock light. Definitely more important than volts because the worst that will do is leave you stuck with a dead battery and you can push start it.

Last edited:

Yea I know. The idiot light is not the best. LOL, I probally will be installing one in the next few weeks.

ApexHunter

I know it's been mentioned here, but it seems to me oil temp is pretty important, because it represents the temp of the engines parts which require proper temps for proper operation. Also it's pretty useful especially if you run the car hard for long periods of time. Since proper oil temp takes longer to achieve after cold start, the gauge can let you know when you are ok to start romping on it, or after a lot of hard driving, when you should lay off for a while. Granted for most street use it is not as necessary, because after 10-15 minutes of gentle driving it can be assumed that everything is up to temp. I also like it because at 195* water evaps from oil, and at 215* fuel evaps from oil, so it's good to get the oil to see those temps from time to time.

CP

Water temp for sho. The stock gauge in the dash is useless.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts