The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What gauges did you start with?

James

A lot of people take a different process when setting up their gauges. what order did you take? I usually go Boost, wideband, and oil gauges first. do you prefer EGT over Wide band? both? neither? Water temp before oil? talk about it.

btw ill be in a the market for these items soon, soooooo, yea.

citymunky

Boost, Wide Band, Oil pressure.

raptorWagon

EGT isn't really needed anymore these days with wideband being the more accurate between the two.

I started with Boost, Water Temp, Wideband.

DynastyLCD

Quoting citymunky:

this.

i also use a water temp gauge. its nice to read numbers as opposed to lines.

Ian M

When I started,the setup was a boost gauge,and a multimeter to monitor O2 voltage...there wasn't widebands or even pocketloggers yet. Just realized it's been 14 years. Yikes.

Last edited:

4Grim

Mine has been this order:
Boost
Oil pressure
Fuel Pressure
Water temp
Wideband

Last edited:

James

I think I'm going to go

Boost
Wideband
Oil pressure
Fuel pressure

boostedinaz

Quoting citymunky:

This was my setup.

At one point I also had an EGT gauge. Wasn't bad I just didn't want to take it out when I got my wideband.

IncorpoRatedX

boost and oil pressure

5OF2k

boost first and foremost, then a way to monitor AFR whether it be wideband or EGT(whichever you can afford, honestly)

mitsuturbo

I consider oil pressure to be the most important. Boost would be second. Wideband 3rd.

Having said that, i've outfitted my latest build with a boost controller which monitors/displays boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure, and voltage. I went ahead and used my old EGT gauge, even though it's not all that useful anymore, but it's mounted on the A pillar right under my WBo2 gauge. I may decide to get rid of the EGT at some point, and replace it with something else, such as water temp, but for now I figure i'll see how it works in conjunction with the wideband.

vtecds1

Quoting Ian M:
When I started,the setup was a boost gauge,and a multimeter to monitor O2 voltage...there wasn't widebands or even pocketloggers yet. Just realized it's been 14 years. Yikes.

Back in the day I relied on a boost, egt gauge and jumptronix.

turbowop

Same here. The Jumptronix gauge was neato.

As of now in 1051 I have Defi boost and EGT and my PLX wideband display. I'd replace the EGT with oil pressure, but I can't find these old style Defi-link gauges anymore. And I don't wanna get new style ones because these match the factory [green] dash lights almost perfectly.

biglady112

If you do any real tuning and actually race your car, EGT's are still very important. It has save our engine multiple times. Granted we run four EGT's with warning lights setup on our RacePak dash.

With that said, I actually don't run any gauges. I datalog everything. I am not into having someone look in my car and going and steal my sh*t. The last car I put together which a friend now owns, has a Tranny Temp gauge(auto tranny) and a wideband. Both installed in the glove box so they are out of sight.

beaner

Most important to me is boost press, oil press, fuel press, wideband. Fuel pressure I used once, and oil pressure I'll look at maybe once a month maybe.

Quoting biglady112:
I actually don't run any gauges. I datalog everything.

Same. I really regret cutting my dash up to install gauges. Could have a bone stock appearing interior if I never messed with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

With dated dsmlink setups being so cheap now, I'll never run another gauge in a dsm again. Logging all those values is the only way to go IMO.

mikus

^ agreed - gauges are useful for a period (setup, diagnostics) but if you're not messing with your setup they're not all that useful. Even boost - if your setup is static, do you really look at it anymore?

If I could go back I would have run some sort of logging & diagnostic app from day one (even PDA), far more useful than gauges have been.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned