The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What does the A/C compressor clutch look like?

I am having a problem where I shut my car off and came back a few minutes later and the A/C is dead.

This compressor is totally different than any compressor I have seen before. Is the clutch the silver thing behind the pulley?

It is just spinning freely no matter what I do. Any ideas on that one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Is it getting an electrical signal? It needs to get voltage when the ac button is on to engage the magnet.

Well is the clutch the silver part behind the pulley? I have never seen this arrangement before. IIRC most clutches are on the outside of the pulley.

What am I looking for as far as a signal? 12 VDC?

Thanks

stevep

The clutch is inside the pulley. The pulley is actually the rotor of the clutch. The test procedure is to feed the clutch connector 12v from the battery and if it clicks it's good.

Last edited:

Barnes

+1 for what SteveP said. When the A/C wasn't working on #908 this was one of the first things I checked. Just supply the clutch with a 12v lead and the clutch will engage. It turns out it wasn't turning on in my car because my line pressure was too high.

Thanks...this is what is happening.

If I go this route, I hear a relatively quiet click at the compressor. This is with the vehicle off.
With the vehicle on, both the clutch and the pulley move together. If the clutch were engaging, the silver part (clutch) would stop moving correct?

Barnes

The center should be stationary if the A/C is off or the clutch is not engaging. It can be really hard to see though.

Well I am positive that it is engaging then. It is engaged at all times actually. Thanks

Barnes

At all times?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the center *does* stop spinning with the clutch disengaged... right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

It would have to (I guess). I am looking at the schematic and the A/C relay is not being energized....but even if it isn't, the compressor should disengage when I give it 12 V and it doesn't.

Update...I was looking at the wrong part for the clutch. Jumping the wire clearly disengages and engages it.

I will have to look at the diagram again and see why the relay is not being energized.

Thanks so far!

No pressure whatsoever when I push the schrader valve in on the high or low sides. Mystery solved.

One would figure that a leak that big would be heard and that there would be some freon in there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned