The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What compressor wheel is this

dime2nr

So yesterday I bought this turbo ($30) to rebuild thinking it was a 16g of some type. Aside from the wheel being chewed up I cant figure out what Mitsubishi turbo has 14 total fins 7 tall and 7 short fits in a tdo5h housing. Kinda want to figure out what it is before I go any further with it than staring at it.

GSTwithPSI

Your pics as requested:

All I can tell you is that's not a 16G variant of any kind. I found this thread during a Google search---> click. According to Justin (who knows his sh*t), it's a baby 60-1 compressor wheel. Didn't find much else. Take some measurements of the inducer/exducer and you'll know for sure.

Last edited:

dime2nr

The base of the compressor wheel measures 54mm giving the damage to the wheel im not going to be be able to get an accurate measurement any where else on the wheel.

GSTwithPSI

The exducer should measure right at 70mm (~2.750") if that's the same wheel I linked to. You're measuring like so?
Frank16G-4.jpg

Here's a chat that may help you out as well. 54mm (~2.125") doesn't line up anywhere on this chart, which is why I'm wondering if you measured correctly (no pun intended). You'll notice as well, the so-called 60-1 compressor is absent from this chart, which is another reason I said the compressor you have doesn't seem to be a 16G variant. Aside form the obvious fact that 16G compressor wheels are a 6 blade design.
mhi_turbos.png

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

OP asked me to post up this photo as well. It's clear the exducer is indeed 54mm. Maybe some of you turbo know-it-alls can chime in?

Or, you could take the images posted here and bump up the thread I linked to over on T00ners in hopes that maybe Justin will chime in.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Your pics as requested:

All I can tell you is that's not a 16G variant of any kind. I found this thread during a Google search---> click. According to Justin (who knows his sh*t), it's a baby 60-1 compressor wheel. Didn't find much else. Take some measurements of the inducer/exducer and you'll know for sure.

You can clearly see from this picture (expand it) that this compressor & housing are not matched correctly. Even on the unbroken blades the gap to the housing is so massive I can't imagine this ever making boost.

is this the one that got posted on Facebook a week or two ago?

dime2nr

No I bought this thinking it was a 16g (S/B/E3) that was in need of a rebuild/new compressor wheel for super cheap as a complete turbo. After further inspection I was left confused as to what it is.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts