The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What Brake Rotors?

I did a search but really couldn't find a difinitive answer..... I need to replace the front rotors on #1303. The rotors I have I believe I bought on eBay about 3 years ago, they are basically stock replacements that were drilled & slotted (they were not Powerslots). Anyway, as I am digging into the car to get it ready for the upcoming autocross season I noticed the left front is heavily cracked, from the last track day I ran I suppose. I looked on Tire Rack, but the only thing they list for the GVR4 is Brembo stock replacements. I would like something that is slotted, but not drilled (prone to cracking & not neccessary in autocrossing). What rotors do you guys run? Best place to get them? I will be using Hawk HP+ pads, I've always had great results from them. Let me know, thanks!

Terry Posten

Get these.

click

That is what I am running and for the price, if they crack in 1 year, buy new ones.

I have installed these rotors and pads on Grand Prixs, Mazda 3's, and the Galant. They are awesome and the price is second to none.

KT

Mountain fronts, Brembo rears with Porterfield R4S pads front and rear

belize1334

At autocross you don't need to worry about slotted and drilled. I ran KVR pads and OE replacement rotors from RockAuto.com and they held up fine. I don't think you'll have issues until you start doing RoadRacing at which point you're going to find the entire brake-system completely inadequate and you'll either do a big-brake upgrade or decide that you need a different car for that event.

I think I am just going to order up some Brembo stock replacement vented rotors & new Hawk HP+ pads through Tire Rack. I think the rotors are about $60-70 each, which may be a little more than others, but it's pretty hard to go wrong with the Brembo name. I don't really plan to track the car anytime soon, so it should be OK. Just a side note, are there any big-brake kits we can use without swapping to 5-lug? In my autocross class, I can put bigger calipers & rotors, I just can't change the hubs/spindles.

joec

Is that listing for front Brembo GVR-4 rotors a new thing at tirerack.com? I seem to remember in the past that they were only available for the rears and non-turbo Galants?

I think someone had received front Brembos when ordering from rockauto.com but I know when I ordered them they were made in Italy, but not labeled as Brembo.

vr4play

I have talked with the guys at TCE and they the vr4 kit is still available just not listed on their website. I may also be able to get a group buy going through the our company. I just need to know how many people would be interested.

CP

I've got the Brembo blanks (5-lug) and never had any issues with them. I'd highly recommend the Porterfield R4S pads. They're great for autox.

Ted Andkilde

The Raybestos PG plus rotors have been Brembos in the past, $28 apiece from RockAuto, there's a sticky somewhere on the site for a discount code as well.

Slotted or drilled rotors are pointless rice on a street car.

Cheers, Ted

G

Staff member
Brembo stopped bringing them in for a few years, but now tire rack has them as well as me. Tire rack probably got them to make a batch of them after multiple requests.

Just ordered up the Brembo replacements & Hawk HP Plus pads through Tire Rack, should have them by week's end. I definitely won't go drilled again, but slotted rotors have always worked well for me, I even have them on my truck. Thanks guys for the info & ideas.

I would recommend just a oem rotor and have a machine shop cut some slots in them. I stay away from rotors that are drilled unless they are oem on that particular vehicle.

Why not powerslot?

As far as I know, Powerslot does not make a front rotor for our cars. I think they make them in 5-lug for the later 1G DSMs, but not 4-lug. What's funny is that they do make them for the non-turbo Galants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

$200 each or for the pair? I spent $69 each for the Brembo replacements, so if it's for the pair that doesn't seem too bad.

GeorgeBillings

click

I found this. Has anyone bought rotors from them before?

What size are the stock rotors?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts