The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

what bolts go to the axle bracket?

Brunoboy

Hey guys, well after dropping in my motor, putting my trans back in, bolting up the transfer case, im stuck with putting the passenger axle back in, and the driver side axle bracket. unfortunately im missing the two bolts that go to this bracket to the block. can someone tell me what size these bolts are. thanks
-Shane

Muskrat

Go to a dealer and get them, is your best bet.

If you really don't want to do this the thread pitch on these car's is usually 1.25 mm (sometimes hard to find). I'd guess it's a M10x50 1.25 but that's just a guess. Measure the hole diameter to the nearest MM and measure hole depth + bracket depth and round down. That's what you're looking for. Make sure you get a Class 10.9 bolt (Metric equivalent of SAE Grade 8).

rgeier11

Those are special bolts that are like none other on the car. They have a tapered end and 14mm heads I believe. Go to Mitsu and find the right ones.

Brunoboy

A so I ordered two and it was 8.47$ which isn't bad for bolts that were needed.
-Shane

tsiboy

this gets asked a lot. can you post the part number for these bolts and maybe the the spacer that goes on the non AC cars? that way we can put it in the part number sticky in the how to section

TylerAdamson

Can you post a picture of the bolts also. I'm getting ready to finish up my 934 and like an idiot, I put all of my bolts in a box without labeling them. I know I have the bolts, just not sure which ones they are.

Brunoboy

i will get to that in a bit, i didnt order the spacer, is that needed? if so i will use washers, but yha i will get the part number when i get home.
-shane

fivestardsm

I think I already did, but I will search the post again to find it.

EDIT:
Spacer...........MB29 7732
Bolt................MB29 7860
Lock washer..MF45 0406

Last edited:

rgeier11

Yes, you need the spacer. It is from the A/C bracket and your bolts will shear off in the block if you don't include it. I think there is a writeup on VFAQ about using washers, however.

Brunoboy

ok heres the deal, the photo i have includes 32175 for the bolts, 32184C for the washers, and 32183 for the spacer, i do however know that these numbers do not match whats on my invoice, thats in the car and i will post back later. but I have a problem, One of these bolts will go into the block, the other I think is stripped. WHAT DO I DO!? Is it safe to have only one holding it in there with Loctite?
-shane

89Mirageman

I personally would not trust it with one, it was designed for two for a reason. A heli-coil would be the best option but since the engine is back in the car that may be nearly impossible now.

atc250r

Staff member
The numbers you posted are not the Mitsu part numbers. They are merely PNC numbers that CAPS uses when you are looking up the parts. The spacer is to be used if you have removed the A/C compressor bracket.

Brunoboy

Quoting 89Mirageman:
I personally would not trust it with one, it was designed for two for a reason. A heli-coil would be the best option but since the engine is back in the car that may be nearly impossible now.

well what should I do? And I do have the bracket just no condensor. So no need for a spacer?

fivestardsm

Would you beable to get a picture of the said stripped hole? Are you positive it is stripped, or maybe it just seemed that way because the bolt that was in it was the wrong size?

If you want to check this out, what you would do is pull one of the top bell housing bolts (right under the water pipe)and try tho thread it in to the hole and torque it down. The bolts are the same size, they just have a different design to them. Also, while you have the bolt out, make sure it is the correct bolt. I have seen way to many of these with the axle bolts, like you are searching for, in the bell housing.

You can tell the difference by the end of the bolt. The bell housing bolts have a straight thread all the way to the end, and the axle bolts actually have a small snub shank on the end where the threads start.

Let us know, and pictures if you can get some would help also. You might actually be looking for the bell housing bolts instead.

If you do however find out that the hole is stripped, you can either do, like mentioned above, the heli-coil, or go buy your self a stud and weld it to the block. I have had to do this before because some one had put a frickin ace hardware/ home depot bolt in and it was the wrong thread pitch. The ending result was a ruined oil pan and a lot of effort to repair in the car. This is the same result you will have by running just one bolt in the axle carrier.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brunoboy

The parts numbers are as follows.
Washer: MF450406
Spacer:MB297732
Axle Carrier Bolt: MB297860

I will check that out again tomorrow if its not raining, I think the last 14mm I put in did not thread in, or wasnt the right size, The bolts Im using are for the carrier as I just bought them from Mitsu itself. They has a small unthreaded space at the end and then threads and then no more threads. correct?
-Shane
ps: I will destroy something by using one?

Brunoboy

oh yha, and which side does the spacer go? and if I still have the AC bracket, do i need the spacer?
-shane

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting brunoboy:
The parts numbers are as follows.
Washer: MF450406
Spacer:MB297732
Axle Carrier Bolt: MB297860

I will check that out again tomorrow if its not raining, I think the last 14mm I put in did not thread in, or wasnt the right size, The bolts Im using are for the carrier as I just bought them from Mitsu itself. They has a small unthreaded space at the end and then threads and then no more threads. correct?
-Shane
ps: I will destroy something by using one?

Yes, the OEM bolts have about 1/4 inch on the end with no threads. I don't think you'll destroy anything using one bolt UNLESS the shaft comes undone. You'll also be twice as likely to shear that one bolt off too, but I'm not sure how probable that is.

fivestardsm

Quoting fivestardsm:
Would you beable to get a picture of the said stripped hole? Are you positive it is stripped, or maybe it just seemed that way because the bolt that was in it was the wrong size?

If you want to check this out, what you would do is pull one of the top bell housing bolts (right under the water pipe)and try tho thread it in to the hole and torque it down. The bolts are the same size, they just have a different design to them. Also, while you have the bolt out, make sure it is the correct bolt. I have seen way to many of these with the axle bolts, like you are searching for, in the bell housing.

You can tell the difference by the end of the bolt. The bell housing bolts have a straight thread all the way to the end, and the axle bolts actually have a small snub shank on the end where the threads start.

Let us know, and pictures if you can get some would help also. You might actually be looking for the bell housing bolts instead.

If you do however find out that the hole is stripped, you can either do, like mentioned above, the heli-coil, or go buy your self a stud and weld it to the block. I have had to do this before because some one had put a frickin ace hardware/ home depot bolt in and it was the wrong thread pitch. The ending result was a ruined oil pan and a lot of effort to repair in the car. This is the same result you will have by running just one bolt in the axle carrier.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Everything was already stated of the consequences, and this >>>click

Last edited:

Brunoboy

ok nevermind, wasnt stripped lol, it was the bracket was tightened down and blocked part of the whole. so I loosened the ac bracket and all is well now. The thing that gets me is, The bolts that are for the Axle bracket are not long enough to use the Spacer. So I didnt use the spacer. Is that ok? I tried to use the spacer but like I said, the bolt isnt long enough to make it through the axle bracket through the spacer to the block. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.
-shane

atc250r

Staff member
AFAIK the spacer is ONLY for when you're not using the AC bracket.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts