The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Well I'm Doing a in Car Rebuild! Advise?

turbophein

lost compression in cyl #1. i pulled the head the other day. the cyl walls look great.

so i plan on throwing some new NPR piston & rings in the motor, with some acl rod bearings and a oem headgasket.

parts should be well under $200 easily. pistons are $90, headgasket $55, acl's $20, exhaust mani gasket $22

so today i am going to pull the exhaust completely, pull down the TC and drop the driveshaft, pull the oil pan, and remove the rods and pistons.

then do a quick hone, and reinstall everything!

if someone has done this and has any tips for me, that would be awesome!

should be a decent rebuild when done!

DR1665

I've done this. Sometimes, you gotta do whatcha gotta do. It wasn't fun. The only nice part about it was finding the 12mm wrench I lost when the engine went in months before.

Yeah buddy. Doesn't that look like fun? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

main.php

If you're gonna do a cheap rebuild, might as well try to clean things up a bit while you're in there.

main.php

curtis

Don't forget the main bearings. Your there and might as well do it. I didn't and it cost me going into JSB status for to damn long.

belize1334

To do the mains you have to pull the crank which means pulling the transmission to drop the FW. If you're pulling the transmission you may as well pull it all and do it right.

turbophein

i'm not planning on doing the mains because i am leaving the motor in the car...

i got it all ripped apart just now, i took some quick pics of the old bearings...

plus i read a lot of different threads that stated the mains last longer, if your end play is good, than to just leave it alone. not like i checked my end play or anything but, its really under $200 not that bad of a gamble. i will drive the car maybe 2500 miles a year, if it ever stays running!

SSPX0814.jpg

SSPX0813.jpg

SSPX0812.jpg

SSPX0815.jpg

Last edited:

turbophein

well i finished the build, did NPR pistons, acl rod bearings, oem headgasket and a quick hone. i have 40 miles on it so far and it feels great. response is much better so far. after 500 miles i will really let you know how it went.

alansupra94

Nice...I am surprised no one told you to get 2G pistons for that nice off boost 8.5 to 1 compression

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts