The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water pump replacement

Nabeel

Need your help.. Please.
Any one knows if replacing water pump required timing belt removal? Or I can simply replace the pump without touching the timing belt. Timing belt looks new and I am planing to do it my self. Don't have enough tools for heavy job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks

92_talon_awd

Very minimal tools needed to do this, just some 10, 12, 14, and 17 sockets/wrenches and a few free hours.

Nabeel

I removed the left engine mount. Belts and timing covers so far. I am trying to avoid touching the timing belt as I am not expert on adjusting it. Any suggestions or recommendations since I have to do it any how...

Nabeel

That is too much to memorize. I will try by best hahaha. Thanks alot.

prove_it

Search for and buy the timing belt tools. Lifesavers. If you conpress the tensioner via the battery tie down bolt/tool, then you don't need to mess with the tensioner pulley adjustment or tensioner compression on a vise. It's not bad too do.

belize1334

Timing belt and balance shaft belt must both come out. The timing belt physically interferes. The balance shaft belt will get covered in coolant if you don't remove it and that's a very very bad thing. But if you have a leaky gasket that may be borked already so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If you can leave the adjustable pulley on the tensioner arm that will avoid the headache of having to readjust that, which is the most difficult part of the whole timing job.

coyotes

you have to unbolt the tensioner to remove the water pump. I'd suggest retensioning the pulley if you remove the belt, is it worth it to do the whole job and just throw the pulley back on in the original position? Not worth risking your motor just to save the step of retensioning the pulley.

diambo4life

Just remember to loosen your water pump pulley bolts before you remove the serpentine belt. Ziptie the timing belt to the cam gears and make sure you have everything lined up to the corresponding timing marks before removing the belt. It doesn't hurt for you to mark positions on the belt at the oil pump gear and crank sprocket to help you get everything where it was originally. It's an easy job but for novices it can be a challenge. If you're not sure....ask or redo. It can get really costly if you're not paying attention. Let the water pump RTV set for 24hrs before adding any coolant for best results. You definitely don't want to redo it.

Nabeel

I will remember that.

OEM water pump from the dealer cost fortune. Any suggestions? Who sells oem grade or better for reasonable price?

GotInsulin

click

There you go. Factory water pump directly from the parts maker sans dealer markup.

Nabeel

Correct me if I am wrong. I think the oem one made by AISIN from Japan model# WPM-012. I sow it on ebay and it is half price of the oem from local dealer.

G

Staff member

Wolfpuss

I did my first timing belt/water pump on my SOHC Expo a couple weeks ago as practice before I tackled the VR4. I must say, its pretty easy. Having the timing belt tools made my life great. They're relatively cheap and a MUST buy.

click
click

Kenny_Kline

The specific reason why timing belt has to come off is because the tensioner idler pulley/bracket assembly is blocking one of the water pump bolts, possibly 2. You HAVE to remove the timing belt. If I were you, Id do it right with all OEM parts (belt, tensioner, idler pulley, tensioner pulley) and you should use an OEM water pump but if you wanted to save $150 bucks, go with a Gates water pump. The quality on those pumps is very good. DO NOT use any other water pump.

The balance shaft belt does not have to come off to do this job although if you have one, id replace it with new OEM stuff with a new pulley. You should get the timing belt tools to do this job (teeth spacer and tensioner pulley tool with 2 dots) The pin on the tensioner should be set so you can put it in and out after you set tension. Use a little rtv or red tack spray on the water pump gasket and use a new Oring on the water pump crossover pipe. If you retain the balance shafts, dont forget to make sure the rear shaft is in phase with the front. Its a really easy process just keep turning it until it balances itself on the pointer (there are 3 positions it will balance itself in) then put the front shaft on the pointer and youre good to go!

Kenny_Kline

And if it were me, swap to a new OFH housing (6bolt 90OFH design or 7bolt (evo 8/9 design) this puts the filter in a better location and deletes the coolant. To do this, it requires removal of timing coveres again so id say do it all when youre in there to simplify things

G

Staff member
Why would you buy gates when you can buy oe for $50 from amazon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Nabeel

I got one from ebay $56. It looks genune. Except the logo location was grinded.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts