The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water pump opinions

cspetros

^^That is pure hotness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif. How did you eliminate the stock pump and what about the belts? Do you still have power steering?

Last edited:

bazeng

I pressed the stock pump impeller and shaft out and pressed a welsh plug to block it off.

As for the power steering, I am running an electric power steering pump.

HunterDG

Quoting bazeng:
Go OEM.

Simple as that.

Which one is OEM?

HunterDG

apparently the one on the left is OEM AISIN - the one on the right is apparently a BOSCH part. I like the BOSCH design - looks like it would have kept this from happening..

atc250r

Staff member
IMHO the Bosch design is better as it circulates the coolant more effectively. Many small block chevy aftermarket pumps have the "cookie cutter" type wheel like the OEM Mitsu pump does. A company realized this and started selling a little disc that you rivet to the back of the impeller to make it more like the Bosch pump in the picture above. I have an OEM in my car but when its time to do it again I think I'm going with a Bosch pump as long as it isn't made in China.

John

Whoodoo

+1 on the Bosch design. From the pictures, it looks as though the vanes of the stamped steel rotor in the OEM pump would create more turbulence then the potentially smoother rotor of its cast steel Bosch counterpart. Also, having a cast steel part could be more robust and allow for more efficient vane design. Of course this is all conjecture so take it with a grain of salt.

G

Staff member
Bosch doesn't make that pump. It's made by npw (Nissan Pump Mfg. Check out these failures & tips > click Watch this video > click & you'll probably change your mind from one of those chinese pumps. On page 5 > click

Aisin is also a good pump. Here a few helpful links > click click click Pre lube > click click More good info > click

Whoodoo

^^^ Uh... video... I almost lol'ed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Im sure they have a good business ethic but seriously? I don't think you could ever equate the manufacture of automotive components to the crafting of a sword /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I was more impressed with the high precision & attention to detail. Looks like most of them are assembled by hand rather than mass produced in china.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned