The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Walbro install.

James

Well yesterday I tried to install my new pump. Come to find out the Wally is about 1/2 in longer than the stock an it smacks the bottom of the tank! I got so pissed off that I put the stock pump back in and put the car back up for sale haha.

But now today it was hard to start and ran like sh*t?!?

I assume this is only a galant GSX issue with the pump not fitting and not a vr4 issue. One of them stupid little changes they made.

What can I do to fix this!?

James

Found and answered my own question. Weird that I searched here as couldn't find it but I searched google and got linked to an old thread here.

I guess 2g pumps are what's needed for a direct bolt on. Seems like ill have to cut the line and use a rubber fuel line.

Anyone who has done this before ease reply or PM me

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not knowing what part you are using, and also not knowing if the fuel sending units are the same between the two cars, I had a similar issues. My walbro would contact the bottom of the tank and I could not get the top to seal properly on the gasket. Eventually I replaced it with my spare stock pump from my other car.

James

Luckily for me it was an upgrade and not a fix so I got to put my old pump back in to get me by.

I would like to talk to someone who has had to do this before (butting the hard line and replacing with soft line) so I can make sure I get it right.

EHmotorsports

on 1865 i used a 1g pump hanger and had to cut it down. but in my build on the bottom of page 1 you can at least get an idea of what it should look like with the hose attached.

click

another thing to add. measure the hangar with stock pump with sock filter to get the correct depth. then cut the pipe accordingly so you have at least 1/2" space from the mettle line to the pump hose fitting.

Last edited:

James

Alright. Do I still need to reuse the cap/Oring/spacer deal that fit up into the flare? Sorry if that's answered in your build thread ill read that when I go on break

EHmotorsports

no i didn't add that info. I cut the flare all the way off so i didn't need to use the o ring. Just make sure you use whatever seat and seal for the filter sock.

Another thing to add. After cutting the flare off you need to take a file and clean the sharp bits off the tube inside and out. Then clean with brake clean or some cleaner that evaporates. sand paper also works just takes longer.

Last edited:

James

Pump and AFPR are in. Waiting on my lower shores boost control to kick it up a notch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AWDPower

I used a GGSX housing on my GVR4 and it was a perfect fit. I found the housing in a GGSX in a wrecking yard. The weird thing was that it didn't have a flared hood like the stock GVR4 housing, it had a metal tube with a short piece of rubber line to the pump. It looked factory, not cut. I believe the metal tube even had a bead to hold the hose on.

James

Well Im pretty positive I'm the first person to go into the tank, the lack of flare and the rubber hose sounds like someone already did what I had to do to get mine to fit.

BpuVR4

i was really nervous about doing the pump on mine, esp after finding out i ordered the "other" one, only to find out when I got it out all the necessary mods were in place for a plug and play, there's a thread about it here. I thought I had an original pump in there (do they last this long?) only to be very wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts