The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

W5M332WQWK or W5M332NQBM transmission

Dashnizzle

I have two transmissions. One came off of my Galant VR4 and is stamped W5M332NQBM

My spare transmission (cant verify origin) is stamped W5M332WQWK.

I have heard the WQWK transmission may be off of an evo rs and have evo 2-3 gears?

I just want to verify here and see if anyone can help me figure out what I have, before I continue blueprinting drivetrain parts. I don't have much further info to provide but let me know! Thanks in advance!

Edit: Current transfer case is set up for the NQBM transmission. Would this spare transmission marked WQWK require a different transfer case because of differing gear ratios?

IMG-5611.jpg

IMG-5610.jpg

toybreaker

iconoclast
Found this chart, don't know if you've already seen it?
Mitsubishi transmission codes

It "looks" like (according to this chart) the WQWK unit is a 3.91 to 1 ratio, so you will need a matching rear diff as the stock vr4/dsm units are 3.55 units

You can check your t-case for compatability with information found in the How To Subforum here on the .org
Mitsubishi transfer case information

Have you drained the oil out of either unit?
... that can tell many tales ...

Last edited:

Dashnizzle

Found this chart, don't know if you've already seen it?
Mitsubishi transmission codes

It "looks" like (according to this chart) the WQWK unit is a 3.91 to 1 ratio, so you will need a matching rear diff as the stock vr4/dsm units are 3.55 units

You can check your t-case for compatability with information found in the How To Subforum here on the .org
Mitsubishi transfer case information

Have you drained the oil out of either unit?
... that can tell many tales ...

Hey there, yes I have seen this chart and it is what prompted my questions. On both codes a lot of information is missing and that’s why I came here to fill in the gaps. It notes different gear ratios only on that page.

The real question for me is which transmission is more desirable for a street build? If my spare (WQWK) has the evo 2-3 taller gears and has any more rigidity over the (NQBM) then I will need to know now so I can build the rest of my drivetrain accordingly.:)

Oil came out pretty clean with minimal metal on either magnetic plug. I'm planning on TRE to rebuild the best core for this car.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Found a little more information here;

vfaq tranny gear ratios

ETA;
Something is goofy on that chart ... I remember my rs as having a 3.9 ratio,
Edit to add;
As far as i can remember the one that came in my front cut did.
They were kind enough to throw the whole rear shitaree in the half cut before they shipped it so i did nt have to source a rear diff, so i could be wrong ... that was over 15 years and a lot of beers ago

TRE will know for sure, so I'd ask him before sending the transmission out
... lots of parts are becoming un~available for these transmissions

Last edited:

Dashnizzle

Yeah I talked to TRE the other day, he said he suspected it to be the RS type and especially if it came off of a jdm galant which I think this might have.

It would just be nice to know if I need to send rear diff/transfer off at the same time or perhaps modify this core somehow to play well with the rest of the drivetrain. I really don’t know!

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If you go to the right around the clutch housing of the object in your pictures, there is another flat boss that has a stamped VIN on the NBQM (I can see it's there). Check on the same spot on the WQWK. The VIN stamp was a US requirement, but likely not on the trans not for US market. If there is something there it would be curious to see what it says.

Dashnizzle

Nothing on the WQWK on the flat boss but on the NBQM there is this:
9699355E-1698-41E8-8472-DAF15811494A.jpeg
This further supports the idea that the WQWK is a JDM transmission.

Just a little update, I talked to Jon at TRE and he wants to reduce the final gear ratio to match the differential on the WQWK so essentially it will plug and play with the rest of the driveline.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Nothing on the WQWK on the flat boss but on the NBQM there is this:
View attachment 534
This further supports the idea that the WQWK is a JDM transmission.

Just a little update, I talked to Jon at TRE and he wants to reduce the final gear ratio to match the differential on the WQWK so essentially it will plug and play with the rest of the driveline.

OK, you did say that this was from you GVR4. that is definitely a VR4 VIN, so if it matches your car it is original.

Jon is a good guy to work with. I have not talked with him in years, but I did maybe three rebuilds with him, Wish now I had kept more than the one for my car. The one i have for 855 received all the trick stuff at the time, double synchros, fifth gear, etc.

Dashnizzle

OK, you did say that this was from you GVR4. that is definitely a VR4 VIN, so if it matches your car it is original.

Jon is a good guy to work with. I have not talked with him in years, but I did maybe three rebuilds with him, Wish now I had kept more than the one for my car. The one i have for 855 received all the trick stuff at the time, double synchros, fifth gear, etc.
Yes in conclusion to this post we basically identified the backup transmission as off of an evolution 0 / galant variant with a different gear ratio from Japan

Jon will be changing the final drive gear so this can work with the rest of the driveline which includes a rebuilt 4 bolt rear diff.

The advantages to this are closer gears 1-4 and a nice long 5th gear. He has all the parts needed to rebuild this thing which is awesome.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who ram into something like this. Thanks for everyone’s Input.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts