The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VRG/VR4 Newbie....where to start?

wild1jevon

Hey Guys/Ladies if there are any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My name is Jevon, I'm 29yrs old. I live in the caribbean, born and raised on an island called St. Lucia. Currently working for a communications company down here. Technical background in computer maintenance and systems engineering. I'm an owner of a 1998 Galant. It's been referred to as the VRG model not the VR4, it doesn't have the Turbo kit, nor is it a GDI model. It has a 2.5L V6 engine model 6A13, fuel injected, Automatic transmission. Driver side is on the right, when sitting in the vehicle facing fwd. click I know it's a bit different from the american markets which comes with a 6G72 engine. but I believe this forum will still provide much help.

What I'm looking to do?

Well I'd like the car to be at it's optimal performance. I guess as close to new as possible. I don't have many in store or on island resources except from the Mitsubishi dealers here and stores that sell after market products. My main source for parts so far has been ebay. When I search i use the 1999 galant GTZ as my reference model, so far it has been accurate, especially for suspension parts.

Known issues...

Well the car has been in the family for years and I got it from my father basically. During a certain time it suffered a transmission failure. That has been replaced with a used one which gear stick was tiptronic and it's engine was not a V6, that's all I could remember. I haven't had any transmission problems since though. But if this is cause for concern for you guys i'll investigate further.

I did a front suspension overhaul upper arms, lower arms, control arms, tie rods back in october 2013. The control arms (longer arms with the curve) have failed in June 2014, and i fell back to my originals. I got a kit off ebay similar to this
ebay front suspension
I figured they are aftermarkets and our roads down here aren't smooth all over so there will be more wear and tear on them rather than on your highways.

My rear suspension is quite bad in my opinion. I've had the rear upper arms replaced with used ones but soon after those failed also. But during the time that they worked, I did feel and hear an improvement in the rear. right now there are clunks and rattles, coming from the rear right side, not so much the left. Taking turns, corners to the left at above moderate speeds, I do hear the tire "skreetch" from the rear right, and going over bumps at the same speed i'd feel the rear giggle or wiggle as if it loosed traction then quickly gained it back. Happens with newer and older tires so i don't think it's a tire problem or even rim. My shocks seem good. If I push down on the rare a couple of times and release, on it's own it will raise up,go down and stop just at it's natural level.

Idling...My idling issue was said to be the idle control valve, when it's connected, the car would start and stall immediately need to keep pressing gas to keep it from stalling. I got a new idle control valve, one for the 6G72 engine. But did the same thing when connected. leaving the idle control valve disconnected is my best option, I don't have any heavy electronics in the car and barely use AC unless it rains so it idles fine like that. I suspect I may have gotten a bad idle control valve off ebay if you guys have any opinions on this let me know.

Radiator fan controller, this was said to be bad (this is from different mechanics of coarse) they stated that the fans don't spin at the proper speeds to address the level of heat. So they bypassed the controller and have the fans 'direct', spinning at maximum all the time as soon as I turn the ignition (not start the engine)

Well there are other issues that i'll mention later on if you guys are willing to assist. But for now I'd like to focus on these mentioned...Suspension, IAC/Air intake, Engine Cooling.

I'd like as smooth and stable of a ride as possible. Changing bushings, Arms, minor tweaks in the suspension. What do you recommend I do to start?
Your thoughts on my idle issue? is there anything you'd like me to try that doesn't involve taking it to a mechanic?
engine cooling Very Important, I can't get my exact fan control module on ebay, but the ones for the 6G72 galant GTZ should work fine?
GTZ fan vs Galant VRG fan

Thanks for taking the time off to read all this junk...lol I'm new to this forums, in fact i'm new to typing in forums...i usually just read for info. But i need the assistance to my specific cases. Thanks again.

Here are some useful links on my vehicle.

]Vehicle schematics internal/external diagrams part #s etc (german site, use google translate)

8th Gen Galant on wiki page, Asian market.

online workshop manual

IAC spec sheet

Chassis# JMYSREA5AWZ000847
Engine# 6A13-1343772

ktmrider

Jevon congrats on the purchase! Wish all owners introduced themselves ( or for old members posted ) in such an articulate and "correct" way ( paragraphs, punctuation, etc ).

The sad part is that this site is almost exclusively dedicated to the 6th generation VR-4 model Galant. The 6G72 engine was installed in the GTO/3000GT models here which runs under different fan sites ( 3Si.org, 3KGT.com, 3000GTVR4.com, etc ) and will most likely provide way more support.

Enjoy the car!

wild1jevon

Thanks for the update ktmrider, I assumed the forum was for all Galants. Those links point to the Eclipse cars though...I guess i'll try clubvr4.com they seem to be more galant specific, closest to my model. Family owned a 7th Gen Galant before, and before that it was Lancers lol. Guess all I know is Mitsubishi lol. If you know of any other sites that are more 8th Gen Galant specific, let me know.

Stay cool man. Thanks again.

BpuVR4

those links go to the 3000GT VR4 which has the 6G motor that ktm was referring to. Eclipses share our 4G motors.

3kgt VR4

2G Eclipse

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts