The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR4 underhood fuse box !!

Viento

Hi Everybody,

Since my fusebox under the hood rusty and doesnt looks good , i just decide to replace with fresh one and i found the non turbo fuse box and need to know that they are interchangable or not ? there is yellow piece on vr4 fuse box that seems connect 4 wires together ( i dont know the name ) , its the normal difference that i can see with my eye , maybe there is more difference inside , please let me know if you know something about this .

Thanks

misterfixit

All fuse boxes should be interchangable for the year. 90->90' 91->91' and 92->92.

I susspect that your car is a 90 or late early 91 car. The yellow piece you speak about is a storage connector (blue, red, white and some other coulour).

On the late cars it allows you to disconnect any battery drain without removing the battery if you are storing the car.

You should post some pics of your car!

Rich

Viento

Thanks Alot Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
To be honest , I already tried and changed the fuse box with the fresh fuse box without that yellow thing and exactly connect each wire color to same color wire and just change the location of some red wires from under the fuse box ( power wires ) to set the fuse box exactly like mine in previous, plus i spliced the red wires and blue wires together on those 4 wires for that yellow things ( i think its right isnt it? ) , but two days ago after finish some works on GVR4 project , i tried to install the battery and connect the battery jumpers to check the power wires under the steering for installing the gauges but there is a pita things appear again and its the SHORT on the wiring circuit , the first thing is when i put the positive jumper on the battery then the Stop light turn on immediately and after few mins there is bad smelling from melting something on fuse box side under the dash and then i saw two fuse melted ( not blown ) and the cover said one of them for DEF RELAY ( RELAIS DESEM ) and the other one for STOP light , after that i tried to find the short with the test light ( remove the negative jumper from batt and connect the test light to negative jumper and the other side of test light to the body ) then when i remove the connector of the STOP switch on the top of the brake pedal the short run away but again when i put it back the stop swtich connector the shorts appears one more time but i dont know the other one fuse .

Yestertday After some exam and error , first i found that the Short Gone when i remove the brake pedal switch connector ( It seems the switch shorted ) , i mean the test light was off but when i replaced the fuse of Defogger relay and Stop fuse then i found the short still on there between some wires ( this time i test with the ohm meter ) that relating to clock , defogger swtich , dimmer cluster switch , brake lights , ... it means when i remove the clock , there is 4 wires on the connector and 3 of them ( red , green/white strip , black ) all shorted together , that i know its not normal because the red wire is power source and the black wire is ground ( earth ) , they must not be connect together . After that i tried to get out the fuse box under the dash completely and remove all the connectors from that to check the connectors on both side of fuse box but no burn things , no melt wires overthere , i really didnt know where should i check for this weird short .There was really no sign of burn or melt or short in my eyes all around the wiring .

Today again i start to find the exact short circuit and exam and error with ohm meter about 2 hrz and found the short between 3 wires or better to said 2 wires cuz when you remove the clock from the dash , there is 4 wires over there ( Blue , Red/balck strip , black , green/white strip ) and in normal circuit the black wire and green/white strip relating together but Red/Black strip wire ( power source ) must not be in contact with those both wires and here is the problem i have , then i start to trace the wires to find the right connectors on both side of fuse box and the wires from clock goes to instrument panel connector on fuse box and went out from fuse box with (( G )) connector and when i remove the (( G )) Connector from the fuse box the short gone , it means everythings start before the fuse box on G connector ( like i showed in the pics ) and when i check the manual , it said the G connector goes to Body harness and i tried to check wiring from dash to trunk , still no break or anything . again start to check the connectors and insert each connector to fuse box one by one to see when the short comes to circuit , and when i insert the (( H )) connector ( has 3 thick wires , two black wires and one black/red strip ) the short comes to circuit , is this connector comes from outside at fender side ? then i check the wires inside the H connector and one those black wires connected to black/red strip ( i think maybe its not normal ) .

Totally , the wires in this short included : Green/white strip ( it used alot on everywhere that i traced ) , Green/yellow strip , Black , Red/black strip .

you can see the wires that i showed on instrument panel ( goes to clock , defogger switch , sunroof , dome light , .... ) and G connector ( goes to Body Harness )

Clock wires like i explained the red wires shorted to green and black

instrument panel connector on the Fuse box

G connector ( short start from here between red/black strip and green/white strip and green/yellow strip )

I just guess maybe i did some wrong thing when i replace the fuse box or maybe the fuse boxes has some different inside . by the way , Mr.Rich it seems that you are knowledgable on electrical things , please let me know what should i do cuz i really dont know where should i check .

Thank you in advancce

Last edited:

misterfixit

You have an early car with a late fusebox. The interior ones changed at the sametime. You will have a load of issues with the wrong fusebox.

For the underdash one. there are two things you must consider. Is the car LHD or RHD and then what year is the car?

LHD and RHD are different (for the interior fuseboxes) and the years are also different. the fuse box change was late 1990 for the rhd cars

Rich

What is you car? and do you have any pics of it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned