The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR4 Tranny?

Hi Guys just a quick one my 92 VR4 needs a tranny is it a 23 spline and if so can I put in a first gen AWD eclispe or Talon Tranny as long as its a 23 spline?? Thank you Mike

Muskrat

Yes, it will work. They are essentially the same. IIRC the GVR-4 tranny has a slightly taller first gear, but that's about it.

If you get a transmission out of a 90 you'll have to swap the shifter cable bracket from your old transmission, otherwise the shift cables will bind up.

Thanx Muskrat for the info and heads up on the shifter bracket. Yea I think I'm going with the AWD eclipse tranny they want 350 more for the Galant tranny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Struc

There are several threads on the board that talk about how to know the difference between a 22-spline and 23-spline setup. I would strongly suggest you figure that out ahead of time. Best way is to put a magnet on the front part of the transfer case. If it sticks, it's a 23-spline. If not, it's a 22-spline.

You never know what's been swapped in there over the years.

Last edited:

Yea this is starting to drive me nuts I wish I could find the orginal owner of the car to find out what he did. I do know that the car had a Shep tranny in it before but the guy did not sell the car with it in it. So I have no clue what he trew in there. All I know is this thing is making more and more noise everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

ok so I think I have found a tranny, Does anyone know a place in MA were I can get this thing installed for less than $600, I have no tfound a place that would touch this for less than that?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JSchleim18

Maybe another board member would be willing to help you out if a shop doesn't want to do it for less than that. If I could come up there I would. It will take half a day to swap transmissions at worst.

Oh and the GVR-4 first is one of the few differences. It's taller but it is also weaker than a 1st gear out of a DSM.

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

The probabilities of breaking a gvr4 1st gear before breaking other transmission/drivetrain components is unlikely in my opinion. That is, unless you have a serious drag car making sub 1.6 60ft times.

JSchleim18

Is that true? If so, I would prefer to keep the VR-4 1st gear

Lonewolf64

Well don't take my word from it. Back when I was getting my transmission built by TRE I was shooting the sh*t with Jon, and asked him his opinion on the matter. He said he wouldn't worry about the vr4 first gear in my case (full bolt on Evo 3 16g setup, mostly street driven).

Given that conversation, and the purely anecdotal evidence there aren't many people complaining from breaking vr4 1st gears, I would say it's ok to run a vr4 first gear.

Waiting to be proven wrong in 3...2...1... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Hey Thanx JSchleim18 for the info on the install, I may have found someone to do it for a lot less than $600 over on baystate DSM. But I have to just make sure what trany is on the car.. I think I may have found the owner who swapped the tranny. I HOPE. .

turbowop

FWIW, Brian and I have both sheered the teeth off of first gear during a launch.

Here was mine. I did this back in '04:

I still have a GVR4 1st gear in 1051 which is part of the reason I haven't raced in so long. I know I'm gonna break it with this twin disk clutch and I don't really feel like dropping transmissions all summer long to fix broken parts. Next tranny I build will have the DSM 1st gear in it. The breakage is also the reason I stopped using Synchromesh. Not enough protection for the gears, so I run NEO RHD.

brisvr4

It's a bit OT but I have just pulled down a box that I broke a while ago and it looks pretty much exactly the same as Turbowops.
Mine wasn't done during a launch though, it seemed to happen right near the top of first gear while I was pulling away from a toll booth.
The box lasted almost 600km /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Dsm first gear for me once I can find someone that can ship it to me for a reasonable price!

Yee that sux our first gear really sux..I got a rebuilt tranny for mitsu graveyard and t case.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts