The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vr4 hard start, no start when hot

jduke0308

Just had the motor rebuilt but when i go to start it it takes awhile to start. Sometimes needing me to give to a little gas while cranking to get it to start. I replaced the coolant temp sensor with a oem mitsu one and still same issue. Car Does have a walboro with the the rewire as well. Tried swapping ecus and got the same results. When its all warmed up and hot if i turn it off she will not start until its cooled down a lot. Where should i turn my attention to next? Also coolant temp gauge doesn't want to get warm either, stays below the first tick on the oem gauge. Possibly related or totally unrelated?

transparentdsm

in my experience this has been the most common issue:

CTS wiring harness. you'll have to trace the wires back and find where there corroded or broken.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting jduke0308:
Just had the motor rebuilt but when i go to start it it takes awhile to start. Sometimes needing me to give to a little gas while cranking to get it to start. I replaced the coolant temp sensor with a oem mitsu one and still same issue. Car Does have a walboro with the the rewire as well. Tried swapping ecus and got the same results. When its all warmed up and hot if i turn it off she will not start until its cooled down a lot. Where should i turn my attention to next? Also coolant temp gauge doesn't want to get warm either, stays below the first tick on the oem gauge. Possibly related or totally unrelated?

Coolant temp gauge uses a separate sensor from the one the ECU uses to determine it's mapping.

Check the sensor at the thermostat housing (two wire for ECU) as mentioned by the last poster, and check for a sensor being plugged into a single spade connector (single wire for gauges/cluster).

Also, do you have a FPR solenoid still wired into place, up on your firewall?

Not sure if the VR4 has it there, but it will be close and will be Tee'd into the vacuum hose going down to the FPR on the side of the fuel rail.

If the CTS does turn out to be an issue, I am also wondering if you might have a two fold issue altogether.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
in my experience this has been the most common issue:

CTS wiring harness. you'll have to trace the wires back and find where there corroded or broken.

^Yep. Your ECU isn't seeing coolant temperature. You need to figure out why.

From another thread with someone having the same issue:
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
You need a DVOM with long leads. I put my meter on the windshield of the car, and clamp one lead on the wire at the sensor connector. Then, I take the other lead and probe the ECU pin while looking at the meter through the windshield.

Coolant temp sensor wiring:
T-pin front: Coolant temp sensor (connector B02): Green/black (crossbar of T) and yellow/green (stem of T position)

First, clamp a meter lead on the Green/black (crossbar of T, or top part of the T) wire at the sensor.

Then, you need to find pin 20 at the ECU: ECU Pinout. Put your meter lead there, and see if there is continuity between the ECU pin, and the sensor connector. If not, then your ECU is not getting a signal from you coolant temp sensor. And, I'd bet my life that it isn't getting one.

The other wire, yellow/green (stem of T position) goes to ground. It goes to the ECU sensors ground on pin 24. You can do the same thing for this circuit as you did for the other, or you could just ground it somewhere in the engine compartment. Eventually, you want to make sure it is properly grounded through the engine harness back to the ECU though.

If your car isn't seeing coolant temperature, it is screwing all kinds of sh*t up. You need to verify it is working. It would be best if you had a logger or something, that way you could hook it up and see exactly what the ECU is seeing...

Lastly, here is a link to the library where the coolant sensor wiring diagram is located. click Look on page 148 (actual document page number, not the Adobe page number)

Threads: click and click

AllanL

doesn't the CTS throw an error and lights up the CEL?

i'm just confirming because this might also be an issue of a friend's car.

thanks!

ktmrider

Quoting AllanL:
doesn't the CTS throw an error and lights up the CEL?

i'm just confirming because this might also be an issue of a friend's car.

thanks!

So long as the ECU "sees" a signal ( when bad it will register -40 degrees ) no CEL. A full open/short would pop a code.

AllanL

oh, so as long as it is getting some 'feedback' from the sensor, CEL will remain off.

cut signal wire, or ground, then CEL on.

great!

thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts