The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vr 4 fuel consumption

vr4jakarta

hello! i am new here... planning to modify a new car. comparing engines. so i've got doubts here

1. i have doubt about vr4's fuel consumption, in either cases when you drive it economically and when you drive it crazy. (atutomatic transmission)

2. my second question is will it work if i switch vr4 engine in a normal galant, as you know the ordinary galant is a front wheel drive.

3. would it be the same case if -i add a bigger turbo and an intercooler to an ordinary galant
and if - i switch the vr4 engine to an ordinary galant

would there be anymore difference out of the 4wd and fwd?

4. which transmission do you think is more economical in maintanance and in fuel consumption cases

thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

assuming you are talking a 6G here..

1) I have found with mine (nearly factory standard, 5spd manual) that the fuel consumption isn't hugely different between driving it carefully and driving it aggressively. The best economy I have achieved is almost 450kms to a 55L tank and that was with pure freeway driving sticking to the speed limits (100km/h)

2) Yes you could fit a VR-4 engine to a regular Galant but then you would have a regular Galant with a VR-4 engine.. half the appeal of a VR-4 is having all wheel drive.

3) Bigger turbo and intercooler would bring more lag, which actually helps with fuel economy when cruising off-boost, but you get reduced throttle response and sometimes you would find yourself having to change down a gear or press the accelerator further to maintain speed on an incline for instance.

4) I think a manual transmission would achieve better fuel economy, yes the automatic will allow for a lower cruising rpm in top gear but the automatic transmission does sap a bit more power from the driveline. I would expect about a 0.5-1.0L/100km increase of fuel consumption of the automatic over the manual.

vr4jakarta

so it means you got the best fuel economy around 8km/L ?
sorry i dont really know what a 6g is... perhaps i was talking about 6a13 twin turbo

and what do you think are other possible disadvantages if i choose an automatic transmission? would it be a bad idea if i pick an at rather than mt?

and so it means if I change the turbo to a bigger turbo i would face the throttle problems? so i do not have to change the turbo? what should i do to "not-face" the no. 3 problems.

what are your commments to a gear box problems in at. much people face that problem.

sorry if i got many questions here

Thanks

fuel

if you are talking 6A13 V6, then you must mean the 8th generation (8G) Galant VR-4.. this forum deals primarily with the 6th generation (6G) Galant VR-4, the 1987 through 1992 model years.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts