The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Voltage Surging/Spiking While Driving

fastasleep

Over the past couple of months my car has started doing something that it has never done before as long as I have owned it.

I have a voltage gauge on my A-pillar. I was driving around town a few months ago and all of a sudden, my voltage went from ~14.4 to 18+ for a few seconds. It may have been much more, but all I know is that it pegged/maxed out my gauge at 18.6. It was like a drove through the Bermuda Triangle. I think I had the heat on at medium power and I noticed it was coming out with much greater force during the spike/surge.

It has happened a handful of times over the past few months at different times while driving. It seems to be completely random. It has done it at night with the lights on (they get much brighter...) and during the day without accessories on.

I had the alternator checked at Advance after the first occurrence and the readout said it was fine.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Could it be a belt/pulley issue?

Racah15

Voltage regulator may be bad. I wouldn't trust "it's good". That's what they said about the crappy known bad starter I had them test, and a crappy known bad alternator I had them test. Try a good known OEM unit. Also, if it only happens sometimes, it may actually test completely fine.

fastasleep

What is a voltage regulator? Is that a part of the alternator?

citymunky

Yes it is inside the alternator.

Sir you will need a new Alternator. The voltage regulator is internal in the alternator.
Voltage spike can be extremely chaotic in the electrical system , luckily the battery takes most of these spikes as per design.
I highly recommend replacing the alternator asap before it wipes every computer and fires the wiring.
Good luck.

citymunky

or you can buy a Voltage Regulator from Rockauto and replace it.

mikus

+1 change this asap, and get an alternator from a respectable rebuild shop. it's well worth the extra few dollars.

prove_it

Good rebuilder or OEM only. Even a delco alternator I put in died in only 6 months. The alternator heat cycles and causes failure in cheap off brand alternators.

fastasleep

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will order an OEM one from the dealership tomorrow.

Blessings,

Ben

ktmrider

Quoting prove_it:
Good rebuilder or OEM only. Even a delco alternator I put in died in only 6 months. The alternator heat cycles and causes failure in cheap off brand alternators.

This, big box store rebuilds use the absolute cheapest electronics available.

Check around your area for a good rebuilder. Been going to a local place, quality Bosch parts and lifetime warranty. $75 or for $100 they'll rewind it for higher output ( in case you bring a DSM core ).

fastasleep

The dealership wants $298.17 including the $20.00 core charge.

NAPA wants $129.00 for a remanufactured one and $189.00 for a Bosch one, which includes the $65.00 core charge. - but you're saying I shouldn't settle for anything less than OEM or a rebuilt OEM?

A rebuild isn't really possible because I don't currently have an OEM alternator to be rebuilt. I think my last two alternators have been from Advance Auto. That is, unless I could find a rebuilt OEM alternator online.

I did find an OEM alternator on www.oemmitsubishiparts.com for $200.00, assuming we use the 75amp alternator. Does anyone know the correct part number?

Thoughts?

G

Staff member
Quoting prove_it:

"even a delco" ? Are you saying you think delco is good?

Guys, this alternator subject has been beat to death here over and over. The final answer is buy a bosch or denso, nothing else. You buy cheap you buy twice.

fastasleep

Can someone absolutely confirm the correct Bosch alternator part number for our vehicles?

tektic

MD149750 is the part number for an auto galant Gsx alternator. Does that help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fastasleep

Nah, I'm able to get the Mitsubishi part number for our Galant VR-4 alternator. The issue I'm having is finding the corresponding Bosch alternator part number for our vehicles.

fastasleep

Quoting fastasleep:
Can someone absolutely confirm the correct Bosch alternator part number for our vehicles?

Anyone?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts