The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vin Number

njrallye

I have a 1992 Galant VR-4 that I purchased new in 1993. I can not find my key fob or dash board plate that tells me my VR4 number (???/1000). Can anyone help me determine my number?

prove_it

You'll need to check with iceman, he's got the list of vin with numbers. He will need your vin.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
PM me your VIN and I can check on what I have.

idreamidrive

Quoting njrallye:
I have a 1992 Galant VR-4 that I purchased new in 1993. I can not find my key fob or dash board plate that tells me my VR4 number (???/1000). Can anyone help me determine my number?

Did you lose the fob and dash plate or did it not come with it?

raptorWagon

He said he bought it new, but if this his first time on here or the old yahoo group and subsequently never sent his VIN to Iceman to the registry, then there would be no way to find out which # it is since the xxx/1000 does not correlate to the VIN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

89Mirageman

You'd think after 20+ years of ownership it would be memorized.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Why did you remove the one on the dash if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, awesome to see one of these cars still with the original owner. Can't be too many left like that.

Last edited:

fuel

Curious to know - wouldn't a 1992 model year be available for sale part way through 1991 - seems odd it was sold new potentially up to two years later? Was it sitting on the lot the whole time?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
truth told, these cars were expensive when new. Many of the 92's in particular were on dealer lots for a long time.

thomcasey

^^^ Correct. In 1991/1992 you could but the sportier looking DSM AWD Turbos. Plus, if you wanted a fast sedan, you could get the larger Taurus SHO or Dodge Spirit R/T. The Prelude with 4WS was also available for less than the GVR4. I suppose if the US was into Rally, then they would have sold no problem.

njrallye

List price was 24,687 plus tax, and a standard Galant was selling for about 16K.

A friend of mine had a 91 vr4 that we used for TSD rallies, so when I saw this on the dealers lot, in 93 I picked it up for about 2k under sticker to replace mu Subaru XT rallye car and daily driver.

I used it for TSD and as my daily drive, until 2003 when the timing belt went, and I replaced it with a x-type Jag. After about 3 years in the garage, I had the timing belt fixed, which lasted about 20k miles and 5 year, before it broke again and it sat in the garage for 4 years. In Nov 2015, I got the engine rebuilt and now it back on the road.

The badge was not attached to the dash when I got the car, but was given to me with the key fob when I got the car.

Peter

transparentdsm

i remember seeing this car. i came to your house and talk with you for a while. this was about 3 1/2 years ago, i think right after the belt let go the second time. glad to see you still have it and are getting it back on the road. best of luck with the car. post up some pictures. everyone will appreciate them.

As for the original owner still having the car, i have 1 up here that i know for sure and i think a second one. there is a 91 SW owned by a 50 year old Philippine guy, who has me and my buddy work on his car and i see this 92 KG that has an older woman driving it. im assuming shes the original owner, i haven't gotten to actually meet the 92 KG owner.

transparentdsm

Quoting njrallye:
good news we found my dash badge = 121/1000 still in the orginal dealer packaging.

very nice! i was hoping youd find it.

G

Staff member
Quoting njrallye:
good news we found my dash badge = 121/1000 still in the orginal dealer packaging.

Pics.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Haha, I would have suggested the same thing! ^^^

This is the first story of a "badge in bag", I can ever remember hearing since I joined.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yeah, I thought they had all been port installed. Maybe that was just 91, and dealers did 92s.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts