The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VIDEO ADDED..HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

click

Ok so i installed a OEM clutch with a stage 2 pressure plate. before the install the car would start right up. Now it just cranks real slow 3 or 4 times eventually running out of juice. I used jumper cables and all i got was a fairly slow crank with no turnover. Has anyone else had a similar problem after a clutch install. It seems pretty straight forward, but before dropping 500 bucks on a ACT clutch kit I wanted to know if it could be anything else. O and i can't push start it due to the clutch not fully disengaging.

Thanks in advance.

ps I only have a month to get this car running or it is going to the junk yard, a messed up deal with my dad due to not having anywhere else to work on the car. He doest want it at his house. so he is giving me 30 days from the time the car gets towed to his crib. It is sitting in a parking lot somewhere. The motor is fully built and has many upgrades, sad to see it sitting. O, and i would like to have all possible solutions before I take the first step.

Last edited by a moderator:

Might be a possible ground cable from the battery to the body or engine/trans assembly, got left dis-connected or failed.....

GSX_TC

Give this a better home to someone on here if you have to junk it, I would beat my dads ass if he told me I couldnt keep my car where I live!

Hondakiller

Quoting Rivet:
Might be a possible ground cable from the battery to the body or engine/trans assembly, got left dis-connected or failed.....

That's what it sounds like to me!

trunks

The starter grounds to the tranny by one of the starter mount bolts. Maybe you missed that putting it back together?

The transmission was lined up well...before I installed this pressure plate clutch combo I put I had install the previous tranny with the old clutch and pp and it started up fine...the starter was bench tested multiple times and passed. As for install error, I made sure both bolts caught it is fine. Is it possible that this be a wrong pp clutch combo? if soo has this ever happened to anyone?

galant344

if its cranking really slow and doesn't crank for a long time before running out of juice and all the grounds and positive cables are intact start with the basics.... put a known good battery in it. at one point my car was apart, trans was out for 6 months, and when i was finally able to start it it would crank but wouldn't start. even w/ a charger set to the start position it just wouldn't start. i put a different battery in it and it started right up!

GSX_TC

Good old reliable optima's =)

Would the battery make a difference if i had it hooked up via jumper cables to my dd (obviously with it running). So I would assume the battery theory could be ruled out, with that. Thanks tho.

GSX_TC

Even with a dead batt and a jump it Still wouldn't work man

I'd take the starter off next and have it tested. I just replaced a starter that still turned the car over just took way to many amps to do it. Would kill the battery with in a couple rotations.

Jesse

starter was bench tested multiple times and passed. As for install error, I made sure both bolts caught it is fine. Is it possible that this be a wrong pp clutch combo? if soo has this ever happened to anyone?

I will look into swapping the battery out...but when i jumped it it wouldn't crank to death...it would just continuously crank slow and not turn over...thats why i think it has something to do with the clutch install, or the combo??????????

Is it possible that the hydraulic system is to weak to dis-engage the new clutch and then the starter is trying to turn the transmission over as well?

it is in neutral and the car can be pushed i assume that rules out the hydraulics.

OMFGeofffff

Make sure the starter harness isn't damaged and connected properly.

BPU925

got some pics of the clutch combo before u installed it?....that starter just sounds weak...or like its binding against the flywheel.....i would throw another battery in there just to see wat happens man....it just might fire it up...battery connections are always better inside the terminal on the post....jumper wont help a dead battery much

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Do you still use the stock 20 year old power cable from the battery to the back of the starter?

If so, replace it with a new 2 gauge cable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts