The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve Seals or Piston Rings?

Muskrat

Ok, so today I noticed the car is burning oil, big time!

I did a compression check on all cylinders and got 150 across the board. The plugs for Cyl. 1 & 4 were black (oil fouled) while Cyl. 2 & 3 were clean and white. Looking through the spark plug hole the pistons in Cyl. 1 & 4 looked "wet".

A little history:

The car has been sitting for the last couple years, and rarely started. This past week I finally thought I had it running properly, and idling between 800-900 rpms (minor surging due to small vacuum leaks, I believe). Yesterday I changed the oil, washed the car, and parked it for the night. This afternoon, after doing some more cleaning, I noticed it blowing smoke when I revved it, and also noticed the idle had shifted a about 1-200 rpms higher, and had more pronounced surging.

So, what do you guys think?

atc250r

Staff member
If the compression is good its probably your valve seals. However, if its been sitting a long time I would put at least a couple hundred miles on it before I condemned them. It could just be stuff burning off inside the exhaust after sitting so long. It could also be coming from your turbo. Usually when its the valve seals it'll smoke really badly after you let it idle for a few minutes.

John

NateCrisman

Take the car out on the highway, get up to 65mph or so then coast down to about 35mph from engine braking with the throttle shut. Then get on the throttle and watch your mirrors. If the car has bad valve stem seals, the vacuum from engine breaking will pull tons of oil past the seals and result in a big black cloud when you get back on the throttle.

If the car is burning oil due to bad rings (I doubt it because the compression is good), it will smoke consistently regardless of throttle or rpm. But I'v never seen an engine smoke due to rings and still compression test well. Usually these motors will compression test poorly well before they begin to smoke, the opposite of your situation.

Last edited:

Rausch

I'm with checking the piping. Rule out the turbo first.

If the tracts are dry, next most logical guess would be seals. As stated usually if you have bad oil control rings, other ring related issues will usually surface as well (compression)...

Although I have seen oil rings totally wiped out (engine ate them) and cmpression rings still functioning. (Weird one, and Toyota related, not Mitsu).

1990ggsxnj

One of my 1990 GGSX's Smoked for a couple days from valve seals. I bought a set thinking they had to be replaced when I first got the car. Turns out they just had to do a semi re-break in. 75 miles later they're fine.

Muskrat

Well, I solved this mystery, and it's really my own fault.

The majority of the smoke was actually steam, from water getting in the muffler after I washed the car.

The part that was oil was from over filling during the oil change. (I was dumb and forgot to lower the car before filling), which probably caused the oil pressure to spike and push past the valve seals. I'm sure I will need seals done down the road, but for now they seem ok. I replaced the plug in Cyl. 4 and the plug in Cyl 1. has cleared up.

gtluke

certain oils make my car smoke really bad. like castrol
it's been like that for 5+ years too. even redid the head and it still smokes with castrol.

1990ggsxnj

LOL I have yet to overfill any of my cars that badly BUT given my track record I should have done it 10 times over by now. At least you didn't accidently put antifreeze in there (no, I haven't either) ;o)

Castrol huh? I never had any problems with Syntec but then again, that's all I ran. What do you use now to make it stop smoking? And couldn't it be your rings if you did the head and it still smokes?? Have you checked compression?

Last edited:

Quoting Muskrat:
I did a compression check on all cylinders and got 150 across the board.

1990ggsxnj

I was replying to gtluke in regards to the compression check, not muskrat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

Muskrat

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
LOL I have yet to overfill any of my cars that badly BUT given my track record I should have done it 10 times over by now. At least you didn't accidently put antifreeze in there (no, I haven't either) ;o)

I'm just glad the car wasn't on the road at the time, so I didn't drive anywhere and caught it right away, so I don't think any harm was done. Definitely a lesson learned though.

1990ggsxnj

Nah, if it was drained out before bringing the rpms up for a while I wouldn't worry about it.

So you over-filled the oil, and the engine didn't blow up?

Of course it didn't, but some people (near where you live) have a mental dilution that it will.

5-years of Irony just boiled down to this post. Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Speaking of over fill which I have not done yet( knock on wood), I customers car came in today and had 22 quatrs of oil in it, F350 van..An Friday a Matrix came in with 10 galons of gas in it, UM Deisel,,OPPS

1990ggsxnj

Quoting mac515:
customers car came in today and had 22 quatrs of oil in it, F350 van..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

turbowop

Overfilling oil will not make pressure spike and certainly won't help push oil past the valve seals. It doesn't work like that. Oil is sucked up into the oil pump just the same whether there's too much or just enough. Excess oil can, however, create issues due to the crank churning it too much and stirring it up, aerating it and creating bubbles that can get sucked into the oil pump and pump through the engine which isn't good. Unless you had the car jacked up at the front only at a 45degree angle though, I think you'll be fine. I doubt you put in so much extra oil that it would create any issues.

Also, there is no pressure behind the valve seals. They just seal out the oil in the head that hasn't drained back down through the block yet.

Last edited:

If the crank was aerating the oil it could also get sucked into the intake through the PCV valve, causing a lot of smoke out the exhaust.

turbowop

I highly doubt that the oil chillin' in the head waiting to be drained would be any different if the crank were churning it up or not. Even if it were frothy in the head, it wouldn't get sucked into the PCV any easier than during normal operation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

It's not because the oil is sitting in the head waiting to be drained, its coming from the crankcase. The crank churns up the excess oil in the crankcase, aerating it, causing a lot of tiny drops of oil suspended in the crankcase vapors. Those vapors containing the aerated oil droplets find their way up to the head through the oil drain-back holes and are sucked into the intake through the PCV, the same way crankcase vapors are pulled into the intake under normal operation. But when the crank is acting like an eggbeater whipping up an overflow of oil, there is much more oil suspended in the vapors than normal. The oil drain-back holes are large so that the oil can drain very easily and quickly. They are not filled with oil during normal operation, there is enough room for oil to drain and vapors to be pulled up. The PCV valve is called "positive crankcase ventilation" and that's its purpose, to vent the crankcase, which it does even though its located in the valve cover.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts