The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve Seals and Piston Rings

mean_green

Ok so I already know I am in over my head... With that out of the way here are some questions and scenarios.

I need to replace my valve seals as quickly and on the cheap as possible. How do I do this?

THE SITUATION: I pulled the motor out of my galant a few weeks ago to attack many problems such as failed clutch, oil leaks everywhere, blown head gaskets, timing belt, two bad piston rings -blah -blah -blah.

Im wanting to know if I need a valve compression tool? Everytime I see this brought up with the task at hand its mentioned with keeping the head on the car. Since Im going to be doing the Tbelt, headgasket, and piston rings the head will be coming off the block. Will I need this said tool still?

Also was I wrong to order the stock piston rings to replace mine that are failing a compression test? I didn't (dont) know much about this subject obviously (or much it seems now) I didnt take into consideration I might need to still have to bore the block or some deal even though I just want to keep w stock pistons. Im just trying to refresh the block so I can get it back on the road asap and I bit off more than I could chew.

Last, is the Evo timing belt tool the same as one for our generation of 4g63? I need to source the cheapest ways to obtain these tools or whatever I need to get these jobs done.

Maybe this should be in the technical section or newbie but I'll start here...

TIA
-Alan

CarRacer

You will need some way to compress the valve springs in order to replace the valve seals. There was a tool that screwed onto the head instead of the c clamp style posted here a while ago. It'll be easier with the head off the car, so at least you have that going for you.

As far as the piston rings goes, if the cylinder bores aren't scratched or damaged you can just replace the rings. That's what I did on my car. I did have the cylinders honed when I did this. I'm not sure how indepth you want to get or what you're planning but replacing the bearings while you have the head off and motor wouldn't be a bad idea.

If everything looks good and you can reuse the stock pistons, you'll want to clean the ring lands before installing the new rings. Soak the pistons in a shallow pan of kerosene or diesel to break up the carbon. Then take an old ring and snap it in half and use an end to scrape out all of the built up carbon in the lands. That will allow the new rings to rotate freely.

I'm not sure about the timing tools for an Evo working. I do know that a "kit" was posted about by Smooth Customer that had everything you need for $50. I only have a piece of threaded rod to push on the tensioner and I just did my belt this week.

Good luck and if you got this far, you can do the rest. Take your time and measure twice and locate the factory engine service manual if you can from lilevo.com or something. That's the manual I used and it helped me a lot.

CarRacer

Here's that valve spring tool. Link.

Barnes

Hey CR, since he is taking the head off do you think it would just be cheaper/easier to take it to a machine shop to put them on?

CarRacer

Good point. Without knowing the history of the motor, he did mention head gasket issues. It would be smart to have the head checked for flatness and make sure it'll seal when it's put back together. Have the shop replace the seals and lap the valves while they're at it.

Barnes

He said he's replacing his headgasket.

I would recommend calling some machine shops and asking them to do it, and give the head a cleaning and check over at the same time.

mean_green

Okay Im looking into a machine shop. Hopefully I dont get raped on price living in Po-Dunk Montucky. Whats an est cost I should have to pay given theres nothing wrong with the head?

On another note do I NEED the hyd tensioner tool when doing the Tbelt if I have a new tensioner to go on? I am hooping I can just rip it off and replace it w the new one...

If not, If I find out what the threads are like can I just use a long threaded bolt from a hardware store, sorry no battery tie down in the car for me.

Thanks fellas for all the help, Greatly appreciative.
-Al

JNR

Quoting BarnesMobile:
He said he's replacing his headgasket.

I would recommend calling some machine shops and asking them to do it, and give the head a cleaning and check over at the same time.

While less common, probably not a bad idea to check the block, too, for flatness and cracks too, etc...and replace the hardware, too. Nothing like going thru a PITA procedure to get another preventable problem shortly after.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts