The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Typical 4G63 Oil Pressure?

GSTwithPSI

What is typically the highest and lowest oil pressure readings you guys with aftermarket gauges see? I'm looking at buying a gauge, and am wondering if an 80 PSI gauge will be enough?

I know it can vary greatly from car to car, but what are some of your typical readings at:
-Cold idle
-Hot idle
-Various cruise speeds

If you guys could include with your response what weight oil you are running, that would help me as well. Thanks in advance.

turbowop

In 1051 I see about 80psi cold idle, close to 20psi warm idle, and cruising down the freeway if I recall it's around 60-70psi at operating temp. Higher if cold. This is using 15w50 MobilOne. Front balance shaft still in the block, but not spinning. Measured with a high quality Defi Link meter.

Last edited:

EMX5636

80psi won't be enough. Even the 100psi Autometer guages seem to pop on our engines sometimes. I know on my old Eclipse, I'd see 120ish PSI at like 8k with 15w50 on a 150psi gauge. No balance shafts.

Other than that, Mark is pretty close on normal pressures for a 4G. 60-80psi on cold startup. 12-20psi at idle.

Last edited:

85tr

Where were these taking at ofh or the cylinder head.

JNR

as long as there is at least 10 psi per 1k rpm, you'll be fine. Unless of course it's like 100 psig at idle, lol (as in something wrong).

turbofonz

I think 150 is a little excessive. My talon has a 100psi gauge and doesn't even max it I don't think. You don't want that much pressure anyways, atleast I don't lol.

Specter

That is not normal, is it? 120 PSI at 8k rpm? What issues can one face with such high oil pressures?

Quoting EMX5636:
80psi won't be enough. Even the 100psi Autometer guages seem to pop on our engines sometimes. I know on my old Eclipse, I'd see 120ish PSI at like 8k with 15w50 on a 150psi gauge. No balance shafts.

Other than that, Mark is pretty close on normal pressures for a 4G. 60-80psi on cold startup. 12-20psi at idle.

kerry92gvr4

in all my 1g dsms and my galants if i was boosting ( like really on it, it would peg 100psi auto meter gauge)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned