The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo upgrade suggestions

AuSpecVr4

Hey

I've had my 2.4 for a year now in my vr4 with a standard 16g running 16psi and making approx 250hp. The turbo runs out in the top end, struggle to make it to 8000 rpm.

I want to get to a t3 as quick as possible, and I've thought about how I want to do it.
Adaptor plate from eBay from td05 to t3. Gt35 internal gate v band turbo, making a custom dump to fit 3" down pipe.
I have a large aluminum radiator with the stock fan. Will a gt35 fit if I change the fan to a slim? Is there any other issues I will run into?

4thStroke

If you want a 35R and keep the stock manifold, I'd skip the adapter plate and go with the Forced Performance DSM82. It's a bolt on HTA 3582. The FP bolt on housing has proven to flow well up top as well as keeping good spool characteristics. You should be good for 500awhp on pump gas if the rest of the car is up to par.

Last edited:

AuSpecVr4

One day down the track I would go with that setup but this is my first vr4 and is a daily, it's a test
Pig. With that turbo is to pricy anyway, plus its externally gated, can't run it with my stock evo 3 manifold. Just need to know would a gt35 clear the block/water pipe and stock radiator with slim fans? I know I won't fit it with the aluminum radiator.

bazeng

Depending on a few things, firstly, the adaptor might be the cheaper option now but it might bit you in the arse later. You have introduced another gasket that could leak and also dropped the height if the turbo which may increase clearance issues with you lower front engine mount. Plus a tighter radius dump pipe may be required etc.

if anything, id suggest you purchase either the housing mentioned above, I believe the external gate mounts on the rear housing anyway. So you can use your manifold.

spooln4fun

I agree to skip on the adaptor plate as well. You will also run into downpipe problems being that the turbo now sits lower, plus your new gasket. If the new fp is to much, try posting a want to buy ad or keep the checking the classifieds.

James

My question is why are you only making 250 on the 16g?

dsm10o0

Why only 16psi on a 16g? Raise it up to 22-24 psi and it wont have problems "running out"

Last edited:

AuSpecVr4

250 was only an estimate, i have a base tune now with 16psi on speed density and ECMlink running the 2g maps. WOT AFR is at 10.5 on 98 oct or (93 for US) it just seems like it has no power after 6000 rpm, I will post logs later of what I mean. It has plenty of timing and fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

My other option is the erl manifold, does the turbo fit nicely on them and clear a stock or aluminum radiator? The dump is fine, I can fab that up easily, just clearance issues I'm worried about.

AuSpecVr4

2.4 bottom end
272 brian crower cams
TD05 16g
3" straight exhaust
Stock manifold and Aus spec intercooler/piping
850cc injectors
dw301 fuel pump

Stock aus spec intercooling and piping? That's a major part of the problem right there! That intercooler is undersized for a 2.0 with a 14b at 10psi let alone a 2.4 with a 16g at 16psi. Change to a Jap spec intercooler and piping as a minimum, Evo 4+ intercooler and 55mm piping will be much better and handle up to 400hp without stress.

10.5:1 is a bit rich as well, 11.5 will be better and still safe, but if you've added a lot of timing chasing power, you will probably have to pull some timing back out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

brisvr4

The erl should JUST fit with your radiator Brock.
You need a better cooler and piping too mate!
I might be changing my setup to a water to air unit if you want to check mine out for some ideas. I also run the erl manifold if you need to measure anything.
Drop me a line if you want to have a look.

bazeng

I do have a big F OFF front mount intercooler from BCNYA VR4.

It is about 100mm thick. Sits behind the Aus Spec bumper. Endtank are designed for the VR4 also.

I'd go for GT30 size minimum....
The 2.4's can spool it fine.

AuSpecVr4

Thanks Tim, good to hear the erl will clear my radiator, I was looking at that, a gt35 (cheap one for initially tuning and fitting) I have a perfect core here, sorry I forgot to mention its an aus spec but has the rs bars. My core is 530 by 300 by 70, 2.5 inch inlets. I can do the intercooler first I recon. Then go from there. If I get stuck I will ask for some more help about where to run my piping. 2.5" okay or overkill on piping? And who does a 2.5inch throttle body elbow? Or just get a 2g elbow from here?

Cheers Brock

bazeng

plazmaman do the elbow in 2.5". 2.5" would be the minimum id go for intercooler piping. Mine is 2.5" hot side and 3"cold side.

AuSpecVr4

Fits stock throttle body? I emailed them and they have them in stock so I will order one this week and get started on my fmic setup.

ozyvr4

I would do the cooler before you do anything champ. The aspec cooler will be killing you.

James

Yea my 16g was easily in the 300hp range and still felt like it it could go a long ways more. I would fix the Intercooler issue and work from there.

mitsuturbo

A small 16g at 300hp is pretty respectable. 250 at the wheels isn't anything to sneeze at, on pump gas, with such a turbo either.

The evo3 16g is capable of a LOT more than a small 16g. You may want to consider something like one of those, or the FP 68HTA. Internal gate, small package, adequate power.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts