The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo hitting wheel hitting side wall.

gvr4144

Well if you have been following my thread you seen I got my car back on the road. Was running great spooling awesome I was so happy lol... Well last night my buddy redid my oil feed real quick because it was barley leaking from the head. I didn't think much of it because I was messing with the power steering pump bracket and he knows his stuff. Well after that, about 10 minutes of driving I lost all turbo power I wasn't to far from my house so I limped it. This morning the oil feed line was a little loose, I checked turbo and the blades were bent not horrible but they're definitely hitting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif What caused this? There is no abnormal shaft play, I did send it out to a place called pure turbos and they installed a billet wheel and balanced it.

holeshotmoe

Hot or cold side? Bent from hitting the housing or from something getting sucked through...like a collapsed filter (cool) or stainless gasket (hot)? Shaft bolt loose? Or is it possible the housing(s) isn't/wasn't solidly locked together to the center section (what turbo?), e.g., the big c-clip not seated, and started to come apart? Could the oil leak have been from that vs the feed line?

prove_it

Did this Pure turbos shop build a hybrid for you? If the compressor housing was machined out for a larger wheel then it's possible they didn't clearance the wheel properly. Over 100k rpms the compressor wheel will expand ever so slightly, but enough to touch the housing if not set right.

Otherwise your thrust washer is worn allowing axial play. Do you know if they installed an aftermarket thrust washer and bearings? If so is it a "monster" thrust washer?

gvr4144

It's the cold side fins that bent nothing entered the turbo, I'm guessing it was from lack of oil. The c clip is a possibility, I'm going to take it apart when I have some free time from work. The turbo wasn't machined for a bigger wheel. It was a precision 60-1 but it looks like I will have to get that 62/62 I originally wanted.

Last edited:

gvr4144

Well I think I figured out why my turbo went out. I got a new 6262 installed on my car I haven't ran it yet, but I did email precision about weather or not to run a restrictor. Thy said that I shouldn't run a restrictor for their journal bearing turbos. Well I was using a restrictor with my 60-1 and when I redid my oil line and between both I didnt get enough oil pressure, especially coming from the head. How many of you guys still run your feed through you head rather that your ofh?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts