The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo bolts coming loose.

AuSpecVr4

Hey

I've had allot of drama's with turbo's since the ownership of my vr4. I have just installed a brand new TD05-16g, i used ultra copper thermal and i let it dry for 15 minutes before assembly of turbo dump and turbo to manifold. The 4 bolts keep coming loose.. i put red thread locker permenant strength on these bolts before putting them in. The car sat all night until morning before testing and starting. The car feels like new, never been this quick, but i look under the hood the next day and i turned the bolts all about 1 turn each. There the standard bolts with a spring and flat washer underneath them. What can i do to fasten these down properly and stop destroying gasket after gasket/boost leaks.

Cheers, Brock

jmorri15

you could use a lock washer or a bolt with a lock built in.

pauleyman

Are these oem bolts with the oem washer. The OEM washer is a belleville spring. There is no additional flat washer. There is a DOT oem and it faces up if I recall.

thecman02

Your supposed to have two conical washers per bolt for the correct tension. I was having this issues last fall. Your right about the the dots on the washers being face up too Pauley.

4 OEM Bolts and 8 oem washers are about $50. Price you pay for piece of mind. Oh I would highly recommend Nickel Anti Seize too. I've never had Nickel anti seize bolts lock into manifolds.

dsmless

Go get new ones from the dealer as they strech, or a set of arp studs but def replace them

mikus

I'd spend the money on helicoiling over ARPs on an MHI housing. Last ARP's I pulled (er, broke) were seized after ~10K miles

BluFalcon

Pauley and Chris are right. Use the OEM turbo washers with the conical sides facing each other, two per bolt. FP recommends this as well. Since I've done it, I haven't had any issues with the bolts loosening. A good anti seize is essential for any hardware used on the turbo or manifold. I've already had the task of drilling out a stripped out turbo bolt, and never, ever want to go theough that again.

chach161

1+ on Anti-Seize (Not Locktite, ok if it is locktite brand anti seize)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned