The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo Blankets

JNR

Who is using one of these and where did you purchase it? I am looking for one, but don't know who makes a better one and/or where is the best place to purchase.

I have an older Frank 4 turbo, fwiw, that uses a TD06 turbine, iirc. I mention this as I don't know if these are more universal or if they have ones that are designed to fit 'x' unit.

bigblock4g63

PTP Cover and Got it here moralesracng.com and 3 years later no problems. Alot of the PR Teams guys here us them

Here is ptp website. click
Hope this helps

JNR

Thanks for the link...sounds like a T3 cover will work, according to the gentlemen I spoke with there. I am running an external wastegate, fwiw, if others were looking into one not sure the same would work or not.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I had a PTP blanket on my 3052 for about 6 months or so. The car was driven occasionally, probably not more than 2K miles, when I discovered the Tial Wastegate was leaking and pulled it off to repair it. In the course of pulling the wastegate off, I noticed that the turbo blanket had burned through in several spots, and a few of the lugs used as anchor points for the safety wire to secure the blanket on the housing, had completely come apart from the blanket.

I ended up pulling the remnants of the blanket off, and chucked it into a corner of the garage. It's still there, I can take pics of what's left. The car wasn't driven hard at all, and the blanket was pretty much rendered useless after a few months. Are these blankets designed mostly for a single use and need to be replaced anytime you pull the turbo?

ktmrider

^^ Interesting, I've been running PTP blankets on my Subaru's for 3+ years with no failures like yours.

Note however all mine are internal WG type running less than 18psi, not sure if this affects the units. Did see they have a Lava brand blanket, high(er) direct heat rating than base model.

JNR

I am concerned with fitment and potential condensation build-up over time, as well. I don't want to be having to remove it more than necessary if it's silica esp., but what about those times you want to clean the engine bay? I have a small steam cleaner and thinking about getting a larger unit, so perhaps this won't be an issue (pulling it off to clean).

Last edited:

BluFalcon

It was a PTP blanket designed specifically for the FP30 turbine housing. Not sure if it was a Lava blanket or if they offered upgraded materials.

While it was on the car, I had no complaints. It worked as advertised, and I'm sure the alternator liked not having a huge ass heat sink radiating next to it. My only bitch about the whole thing is the durability of the product.

I forgot I snapped a picture when I pulled the wastegate a few months ago:

At this point, the blanket is pretty much useless. The T/H was ceramic coated, so I just yanked the blanket off, and it seems to be fine so far. I might pick another one up if the heat becomes an issue again, or if they offer the blanket with upgraded material.

JNR

Thanks for sharing your experience on that one. I would be curious to know how effective your ceramic coating works on the housing by itself? I had thought about going that route instead initially but imagine using both would be even better. At this point, was thinking about just using the blanket though.

Have a little bit of time, but not much, to make up my mind as the turbo is off right now. Fixing a thread for one of the exh. man. studs, but soon as I do I plan to get gung ho on this.

bmxr152

i built my own with a turbo insulating kit. Came with enough to do some of the downpipe too. Works as good as my previous t3 blanket except this seems to be holding up better.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts