The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trip to pick up another vr4

14u2nV

Got the dolly pretty much buttoned up today. Dad was going to weld up the tongue for me (I cut all the pieces and tacked it in place, just needs squaring) tonight after I left, wheels are on (gotta put a couple gussets for overkill status) and I've gotta cut out the UHMW. Should be DONE tomorrow, and I'll get pix. Not gonna paint it till I get back and have time to wire wheel the whole thing.

I've started making a list of people with their numbers, so looks like I'll stay busy all day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got my Official AAA card today in the mail, 200miles towing so one of you will be close enough to me if I have trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

14u2nV

DONE! well, as far as we are going for this trip. Still have to make fenders, clean up/paint it and inspect it after the trip. Rides pretty good empty, didn't really bounce too much and didn't make one sound. My dad live about 20mins away, so I gave it a good test up to 65 on the way home.

Heading out early in the morning so I can get most of the driving done while it's still cool. I'll call the ones who gave me their numbers as I get close to you. I'll still check the board too on my way, so if you need me pm me.

fivestardsm

Kenneth, you know the swivle on that is only supost to be around 15 degrees or so. If you dont make stops, you will turn the dolly wheels into the side of the car. I am not positive on the amount tho. Anyway, are you planning on welding some stops in there?

14u2nV

Maybe later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif It's got a lot of clearance, and I'll be watching. I'm not worried.

prove_it

I'd put stops in there in case you end up needed to back it up with the car on there. It could get tricky otherwise. Also, trust me if it pivots too far the car doors will hit on the dolly and you wont be happy.

fivestardsm

Its almost impossible to back them up no matter what anyway. Its like backing up a haywagon, or a gravel train. Both of which I had jobs doing, but I still hate backing my dolly up more.

Also, Kenneth, its not the fact of how much clearence you have, it is that when you go to make a 90deg turn say out of a parking lot or so, the car will want to go straight while the dolly follows you and you will end up with the dollies wheel in the side of your new G-ride. I hope this does not happen to you, and if you foresee a problem, just take a couple of ratchet straps and strap the wheel tray to the frame.

1 More thing, the locks are for towing stability as well. You might notice a little fish-tailing if you get into a section of bumps or pot holes. Or if the cross wind picks up like it did on me comeing back with 420 from you.

Last edited:

galant344

not sure how the whole trip went but the car actually did straighten right out after a turn on kenny's dolly. it seemed to work really well.

fivestardsm

Sweet! I am so glad to hear that. Update us when you can Ken.

14u2nV

Just got home about 10mins ago, I went about 60-65 the whole way and stopped twice to sleep (went up there on only 1hr of sleep, so I figured I deserved it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Trip up there, SUCKED! 35 has a bit of construction, 80 is about 75% under construction and one lane. Driving on 294 (I think that's the road) in Chicago at Rushour SUX!

Went and saw the first Ryan at the shop he works at. Pretty nice guy, decent welder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Hung out there for a half hour or so, then went to Ryan Hertz house. Had a pretty good time putting suspension/wheels on, going through parts, hanging out with him, Myles and Chris (listening to them talk about their sexual exploits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif). We got the dolly together, loaded the car and just talked for a couple hours. Finally left somewhere near midnight I think.

When I left Ryans house, Chris led me out to the highway I needed, and about 5 mins later it started pouring rain. Drove through that for about 15mins or so, then it stopped. Drove about an hour or thereabouts and pulled into a rest area for my first sleep (around 2am I think). It started to rain when I went to sleep, and was still when I woke up, so I grabbed another hour before I headed out. Pretty much all of IL was rainy, crossed the Miss and didn't have rain again. Pretty smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Dolly handled PERFECTLY! Never had one issue, never had to adjust anything, and never even came close to touching the doors, even pulling into/out of KFC. I'm still gonna add some stops, fenders, permanent lights and a hook for a come-along; but I'm very happy with it. Never even tried to wag back and forth or bounce uncontrollably.

Truck ran great! Not one issue, never even overheated (until I got home and was positioning the car to unload /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). I added some oil about halfway home, and that was it. Averaged about 15mpg, which isn't bad considering going up there I had about 1000lbs in the bed (had the dolly mounted up on it so I didn't have to pull it up there, plus 7 wheels/tires), and coming back I was pulling the car. All in all, Great Trip! Maybe it was meant for me to have this car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saw this on the way up:

jcgalntvr4-244

Shoot me a pm with your phone number I have a car that was hit in the rear that is black that I would donate to you if you are going to put this car back together. I know the front of Ryans old car is pretty bent up and the front of the car I have is perfect also has allot of other parts I can donate to you.

I also have a full set of black 91 wheels on the car to.

JC

14u2nV

I'm swapping everything from my other black car onto this one, so I've got the biggest part of what I need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting 14u2nV:
Maybe it was meant for me to have this car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That I am certain of.

Diego

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Shoot me a pm with your phone number I have a car that was hit in the rear that is black that I would donate to you if you are going to put this car back together. I know the front of Ryans old car is pretty bent up and the front of the car I have is perfect also has allot of other parts I can donate to you.

I also have a full set of black 91 wheels on the car to.

JC

That right there is such a nice guy ^^^

Donations to help my car run lol........... but it looks great wish i could just drive mine again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts