The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trip to pick up another vr4

14u2nV

I'm going to Chicago to get the shell from Hertz, and might need some help, or otherwise just want to see if anyone wants to meet up on the way. Trip is up 35 to desmoines, then across ?80iirc. If you're on that route, I'm shooting for leaving here Sunday morning, and coming back either Sunday night, or Monday depending on if I find somewhere to crash cheap and feel like it.

As for the help, I need to come up with two galant wheels/tires along the way, either to borrow or cheap. If there is a junkyard along the way, that will work, but I'm hoping someone on the route has a pair I can borrow then ship back or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif. Wheels can be basic Galant steelies, but tires have to be safe to pull on car dolly. I've got two spares for the front, which will be on the dolly. Actually, I may be able to come up with two good 14" tires, which is what the steelies are. I don't have any 15's.

I'm still trying to come up with enough cash to pull it off this weekend so I can get it out of his way, so I probably won't know 100% until Saturday night.

I take paypal donations, or you can just buy some of my junk to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

*I know this maybe goes in AG, but I know not everyone reads that section, so might get more exposure here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rgeier11

I live right outside of Chicago in Elk Grove Village. I have two wheels with tires I can sell you.

Hertz

Staff member
I don't think Kenneth has any money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I work in EGV and could pick them up tonight if he goes for it.

congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif kenny, you still in the unemployment cr3w? holler

jepherz

Staff member
Kenny, I have 4 '92 wheels with cracked old tires on them. Hella tread though, they must have been put on right before the car sat for 6 years... I'd like them back but you're welcome to borrow them.

dsmer06

Quoting 14u2nV:
I'm going to Chicago to get the shell from Hertz, and might need some help, or otherwise just want to see if anyone wants to meet up on the way. Trip is up 35 to desmoines, then across ?80iirc. If you're on that route, I'm shooting for leaving here Sunday morning, and coming back either Sunday night, or Monday depending on if I find somewhere to crash cheap and feel like it.

As for the help, I need to come up with two galant wheels/tires along the way, either to borrow or cheap. If there is a junkyard along the way, that will work, but I'm hoping someone on the route has a pair I can borrow then ship back or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif. Wheels can be basic Galant steelies, but tires have to be safe to pull on car dolly. I've got two spares for the front, which will be on the dolly. Actually, I may be able to come up with two good 14" tires, which is what the steelies are. I don't have any 15's.

I'm still trying to come up with enough cash to pull it off this weekend so I can get it out of his way, so I probably won't know 100% until Saturday night.

I take paypal donations, or you can just buy some of my junk to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

*I know this maybe goes in AG, but I know not everyone reads that section, so might get more exposure here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll have to look if I have any spare wheels, but if you need a place to crash I work at a hotel about 45 min east of Des Moines, I'll give you the best rate I can.

Rausch

Quoting jepherz:
Kenny, I have 4 '92 wheels with cracked old tires on them. Hella tread though, they must have been put on right before the car sat for 6 years... I'd like them back but you're welcome to borrow them.

WINNER

14u2nV

Jepherz is da man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I'm at dads building my car dolly right now, but I'll message u when I get to my puter

vapid

I also have 4 if you need them, in similar condition to Jepherz's. Im about 1hr. North of your route. If you don't pick up his, let me know.

Just look up my address if you still have it.

PS-got the stuff I ordered the other day, thanks.

14u2nV

Not right now they're not, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Here's the progress on the car dolly:

Still gotta get the hubs figured out, decided if we have enough time to make it a pivot dolly or not and get the tongue together. I'm doing all the design/fab/welding myself, except for Dad helping with the hubs, and he did about five of the welds. He's also teaching me to weld (I've never mig-welded before, barely tig'd). So far, I trust my welds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Hey man not dogging on the design, design looks killer. Just make damn sure the welds are cooked in and in the intersection of the two main beams I'd like to see a 8x8 triangle plate welded in top and bottom if you can and the same out on the support legs that run back over to hitch. Another thing you might want to think about is the main beam side to side.... you could put another same size square bar on it and stitch weld it on to really give it over kill status on strenght.

Just don't want to see pictures of something bad happening.

Something else you might want to consider is building two of them and jacking the rear up after the front is on and slide the second underneath the rear wheels and have a bolt in section, that way it turns into a trailer for the vr4 and can serve track duties as well as drag around fwd cars. Looks like you having fun best of luck with it.

Oh watch out for welder burn. that reflection on the inside of the shield from the light colored clothes can have you up in the middle of the night screaming....I've had two bad cases and one extreme case where I wanted to dig my eyes out of my head for about 3 days.

14u2nV

It'll be plenty strong when we're done with it,, we just haven't figured out whether we're gonna beef it up the way it is, or try to put the pivot in. The wheel holders aren't attached, they are just sitting there. It's pretty solid though, it'll hold my 260lbs jumping in the center with no flex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14u2nV

Is this better Mr. Master Fabricator? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10" wide c-channel notched and welded onto the bottom frame, another piece flipped and welded between the tubes on the wheel holders. UHMW sheet goes inbetween the two, and a huge bolt goes through the center, giving me a pivoting dolly. Most of the welding today was done by a guy that welds for a living, so a little better quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14u2nV

The sled that holds the cars wheels pivots on a center pin, which gives you a better turning radius. All of the ones I've seen to rent have this. I was just going to make it solid, but people kept telling me I'd have trouble turning sharp corners, plus I'd rather make a nice one now than have to modify or make a new one later. It's really just a "practice welding" project for me for the most part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

here's a pivoting one:
cardolly.jpg

here's a solid one:
car-dolly-300x300.jpg

Last edited:

curtis

NICE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14u2nV

aren't you supposed to be in bed Curtis? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'll get some pix tomorrow with more detail so you can scrutinize it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14u2nV

Ok, got about NOTHING done today, so plans have changed. Talked to Ryan, and now the definitive plan is Wed. I'm gonna leave here in the morning (dolly or trailer, depending on progress) and have the whole day to entertain myself while Ryan makes the bacon. Anyone up there not working Wed. day and wanna get together? Also, any of you Iowa guys wanna eat breakfast or lunch? I'll probably stay in Chicago overnight and come back Thurs.

galant344

i'm supposed to be off of work wed. but thats not always the case.... i'll let you know

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts