The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tree Fell on Galant but still Going to Shootout

thecman02

A neighbors tree fell on my Garage totaling it. It also managed to mash up my car leaving a big dent in the roof. Hundreds of scratches all over. Luckily I think the roof rack took most of the damage. Bad news is I only had liability coverage on the car so that isn't going to be getting fixed. Should have a nice brand new garage eventually.

Anyway I'm getting the Galant ready for shoot out as best I can. Hopefully you guys don't bag on me too bad for my car looking like poop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Working on my 5 lug swap this week. Doing some cleaning up of the rear subframe and finally pushing in my boostx bushings. I cleaned up some evo wheels and bought some Hankook RS-3's. The Hankooks seem to be doing pretty well from teh research I've seen and I'd like to think they are the best performance for the dollar. Being that they are 140 treadwear also puts me right at the limit for the max effort tire restriction. Didn't get enough money to get the coilover setup I wanted. It makes me sad because I don't think I'll be able to get any reasonable amount of negative camber into the front of my car. Hmm other things to get ready are flushing out all the brake lines, install new Hawk HP pads in the front along with up sizing the brakes to the outlander setup. My brake bias might be pretty heavily skewed to the front but I don't think it'll be to big a deal. Its easy to drive when the fronts lock up before the rear. Also need to install my twin disk and other maintenance issues.

Lastly I need to fab a fuel cell since gas is leaking around the sending unit and the studs finally broke off.

Here's a couple pics.

GSX_TC

Im sorry to hear that, that blows. I like what you did with the EVO 8 rims though I've never seen them in white like that.

LIV4PSI

Our neighbors tree just went through my mother's roof, and she had to use her insurance not the neighbors.

OP, sorry to hear about the car. I spied an STI in the background, is it yours? Curious if there are any other STI owners on here besides me.

matt92vr4

Your homeowners might cover the damage. Check it out.

bobdole

Sorry to see that happen. How did the tree fall? Looks like it wasn't dead.

JSchleim18

When I had a tree fall on my car, I had to use my own comprehensive insurance through my auto insurance policy. Even if the tree looked dead, you would have to had told your neighbor that you wanted the tree to be cut down because it would become a liability. Also, that would have to be documented. At least here in NY state it would have been.

thecman02

Yeah I'm pretty much porked. I already put the claim through my insurance for the garage. They won't cover the vehicle damage and I didn't have comprehensive on any vehicles including my girlfriends car that really got tore up inside the garage. The insurance company is pursuing the neighborhood to possible cover the costs of what they've had to pay me plus my deductible. I have heard statements from other neighbors saying he got a quote to take down the tree but it was to expensive. He also told me that he knew there was a crack in the tree. Unfortunately I don't have that statement recorded on anything so maybe a private investigator can dig and get the info needed to prove liability. The only problem is that really doesn't help me. I did ask if they are going after the neighbor if there is anything they can do to help me get my cars fixed. We'll see but I'd probably have to get my own lawyer since I doubt the insurance would let me piggy back any claims to there suit or use any information they get from an investigation assuming they have one to try and prove liability.

EMX5636

That sucks about the tree man! Hope you can get some money towards the cars. My roof has some weird dents in it, kinda like the original owner did a rain dance on it. My roof rack makes it not as noticeable though.

Get some pics up of the wheels! I left two of my EVO8 wheels in white primer to see if I liked it over the bronze, but bronze won. I want to see what I missed out on!

Damn that sucks. Why would you not have full coverage? Is it really that much more? Being a home owner and having multiple vehicles a full coverage policy shouldn't be that expensive for a 20 year old car. Now you have to pay out f pocket to get it fixed.

thecman02

Michigan has one of the most expensive insurance costs in the nation thanks to the stupidity of the "no fault" policy that Michigan has. While my liability is a decent price full comprehensive is easily over twice as much. I've probably saved 5-6 thousand dollars since I've owned the galant that would easily offset the cost of the damage if I had enough self control to stash that cash.

SouthCaliVR4

If the tree is on your neighbors property they are liable. your insurance wouldn't pay out regardless, thiers will have to.

IncorpoRatedX

Chris,

That sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. When are you headed out to shoot out?

thecman02

I'm trying to be out there by Friday afternoon. Probably leave Kalamazoo around noon.

IncorpoRatedX

I'm going down saturday afternoon. I'll see you around town or at the track sunday!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
To your first post Cman: Who would ever rag on someone for having a tree fall on their car, then make the cross country trip to get to the shoot-out.
All fun in good humour, guaranteed. Definitely good drunk humour fodder for "anyone in the know".
Definitely sad to hear about the tree/car incident. I have a tree not as large as that in my front lawn, and would hate for it to come down in any direction,
much less my kids bedroom at the front of the house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Hope you get it sorted to your favor, as it should be!

thecman02

Update on the car. I'm having fueling issues. My filter pre fuel pump is to restrictive causing a pressure drop. I need to get that figured out. I blew the 4 bolts that hold the axle together at the shoot out during my drag runs, so I ended up DNFing to anyone that was curious. I think I was a second and a half off the autocross fastest time. I would have done better but I didn't have any kind of an alignment on the car. No place was open friday that could get me in.

I picked up throughfaith's hotbits. I must say that I'm disappointed that I waited so long to pick up a pair of hotbits. My car handles so amazing now. I have no doubt that I should be able to win the autocross at the shoot out. The suspension doesn't even feel that stiff, but there is just no roll anymore. I'm so excited to drive my car. I just put it on today.

I should probably go to bed cause I'm just rambling.

citymunky

I glad you were able to pick up the Hotbits. What suspention did you have before?

RedTwo

I would have given you extra points if you had arrived at, and left the shootout with leafy twigs jammed into every panel joint you could find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thecman02

I had some KYB AGX's with Whiteline Springs. It honestly wasn't a bad ride on them. It seemed comparable to an EVO8 GSR suspension equipped Galant. I'll have to keep the twig thing in mind for next shoot out if I don't have my bodywork done by next year ;-p

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned