The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TRE or Shep

gtproto

Sorry if this is a noob question, but im looking at getting my first new transmission and i know the big three TRE, Shep and jacks do good work. TRE is within driving distance of chicago being as this is my daily i cant have it down to long waiting on shipping or if its worth going somewere else. Anyone with recent experience?

manikbastrd

Pepsi vs. Coke. I have heard some bad stuff in recent years about Shep since they ahve switched to more high end stuff recently (evos, GTR etc) I have never heard anything bad about TRE, had one myself and it was great. Jack's has always had awesome reviews and they seem super professional, and have an awesome warranty but they cost more. When it really comes down to it, they mostly use all the same parts for their rebuilds, and you are paying for a name, experience and someone doing a very clean job. A friend of mine recently had a Shep trans apart and said it was literally no different from one he would build himself from parts off of JNZ. I personally will be buying a Jack's when I upgrade 504 to the point that she needs one. Hope this helps to some extent.
-Manik

Vr4junkie

I don't think Shep does dsm transmissions any more last time I checked there web site. Why not go with TRE if there close to you seems like the easiest thing to do.

BpuVR4

when i picked up 957, it had a 2 month fresh (with receipt) Shep stage 2 trans and rebuilt t/c in it. That was about 2 years ago..i baby my car, no dumping the clutch, no rough shifting. The gates are still tight, and everything is butter smooth, can't imagine it really being better than this. it's got the usual evo3 16g/560cc/272 setup, for what its worth.

Lancer99

I've done business with Jack's acouple of times and had no problems. Even helped me replaced a part when it got damaged during shipping!

Jesus_Negros

^yup

4Grim

TRE

They are still servicing Mitsu/DSM transmissions and Rear diffs

I have a fully built TRE transmission and shifts smooth and like butter.

sy1100

If you wanted to have the Shep trans rebuild one of their transmission give them a call or email' they may do that but they are out of building new transmission for 1g 2g dsm's.

brisvr4

Talk to Tim at TMZ performance too.
I've dealt with him for a while now and his customer service is fantastic.

PolskiVR4

Shep still rebuilds our transmissions but you have to call them. Something to do with giving a more accurate quote. But Tim Zimmer at TMZ or TRE are great places also. I personally dealt with Tim Zimmer and his helpfulness with any questions is top notch.

3rdstrikedsm

John at TRE is damn good just kind of hard to get in contact with but the guy is super smart and most likely the best in the business and I have seen good things come out of Tim Zimmers place as well.

Vr4junkie

What type of driving will you be doing?

mitsuturbo

Quoting Lancer99:
I've done business with Jack's acouple of times and had no problems. Even helped me replaced a part when it got damaged during shipping!

Jack's is fantastic. Customer service and communication are great, and so is the finished product, from what i've seen.

Quoting blacksheep:
Is TRE even in business?

Yeah, but from what i've seen, heard, read and experienced personally...
Go ahead and ship them your trans for a rebuild and pay them, but then it's Good luck getting any response out of them via phone or email. Once your stuff does show up, hope like hell it has the internals that you paid for. Search and search some more and you'll find a bit of dirt out there on TRE.

holeshotmoe

I had a shep trans that went bad on me. I asked about a rebuild and he said he doesn't do them anymore unless it was one they had previously rebuilt. I told him mine was. So he asked me for the number stamped on it. Too bad, no number, mine was done before they started marking them. I know for a fact they built it (PO). I decided against trying to push the issue, get them annoyed and then have to trust they would do me right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif So I took my business elsewhere, i.e., Jacks. Only been about 9 months but so far so good. To be fair, the shep trans was definitely as nice before I started having trouble with it.

gtproto

VR4 junkie its my daily for now but will see the track. Ill be running an FP red with all supporting mods, i could have boostin performance build it but i know there a little more pricy, just seeing my options that are out there. My trans now is out of a 90 talon i believe with the 22 spline so im not sure to rebuild it or just try to find a 2g trans first and get that built instead.

4thStroke

If the car will see high power levels, go with Jack and use his HD gear set. They seem to be holding up in the high torque applications.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts