The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmisson

Hondakiller

How much power can a factory trans. hold? Im going to have the tranny rebuilt but dont know if I should rebuild it to stock or just beef it up.

Nartanian

My friend made 466whp on stock tranny. What it boils down to is how much you abuse it through launches and slamming it through gears.

Hondakiller

The engine that Im building is able to hold 800hp. But Im going for 500hp. but I want to build a tranny that will last so stock is not good enough cuz i drive my cars hard. so Ill just biuld a bad ass tranny.

CutlassJim

Then why f***ing ask?

Gears in a DSM style trans shear at 500ft/lb beatings with traction but you can toast syncros with 90 hp and a crap hydraulic system or bad shifting skillzzzzz. Got any more dumb questions to not put in the newb section? I got a sh*t load of wise ass answers in my magical bottomless bag of wise ass answers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Quoting Hondakiller:
The engine that Im building is able to hold 800hp. But Im going for 500hp. but I want to build a tranny that will last so stock is not good enough cuz i drive my cars hard. so Ill just biuld a bad ass tranny.

If you want something not factory, then you'll need a dogbox from somebody like Magnus. All other transmissions use some combo of factory parts/gears/bearings/synchros/etc.

BPU925

or you could convert it to auto..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

or you can just run stock til it blows...

enough said.

4thStroke

Quoting BPU925:
or you could convert it to auto..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

And endure all the growing pains associated with that? It's not as simple as just throwing in an auto. It's not even as simple as finding all the drivetrain and hard parts to make the swap possible. It goes well beyond that to get a properly performing automatic setup, and to say otherwise is ignorant.

I've been daily driving my stock "refreshened" tranny at 440whp for close to two years now. It boils down to self control. I've launched the car maybe 5 times and do not slam gears.

I learned the hard way the first time and do not want to repeat what I did in the past. I made several 2nd through 4th gear rips while daily driving at 530whp and ended up shredding 3rd in just a few thousand miles. If you beat on any DSM tranny on a daily basis, it will break. Whether it be from small gears being fatigued, or user error with a dogbox, it's not difficult to do.

Last edited:

4thStroke

I figured I'd update this a little.

I'm back at daily driving the car at about 550whp. The car blows the tires off in 1st even with ECMLink keeping boost to 20psi, it spins 2nd once the turbo respools (30+psi from 2nd to 5th)), and pulls hard in 3rd, spinning any time the tires hit some sort of imperfection in the road. I've made a few pulls on the stock tranny and I expect it to hold for some time as long as I don't do back to back pulls and heat up the gears repeatedly. The tranny is not set up for the quickest shifting despite having a twin disc for clutch duty, so i doubt I'll explode a gear from slamming.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned