The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission questions

dsmfever

I've searched and did find a post that shows usable transmission numbers for or cars. My question is, what transmission work without a rear end swap? I am the new owner of #47/1000 to go along with my 91 ggsx

transparentdsm

91-94 dsm awd, you also need to make sure the spline count on the new trans is the same as your current one or the transfer case wont go on.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Only Autos are different. DSM and USDM GVR4s share the same ratios. If you have a 22 spline trans, then you would need one from a '90 DSM or you just get a 23 spline tcase and trans from 91-94 DSM.

I had a 3 bolt LSD rear diff from a DSM in my VR4. You might get your ratio information mixed up with the GGSX stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

DynastyLCD

If you want to split hairs, 91-96 AWD transmissions will work. 97-99 have a different final drive and will bind.

mitsuturbo

Quoting raptorreed:
Only Autos are different. DSM and USDM GVR4s share the same ratios. If you have a 22 spline trans, then you would need one from a '90 DSM or you just get a 23 spline tcase and trans from 91-94 DSM.

I had a 3 bolt LSD rear diff from a DSM in my VR4. You might get your ratio information mixed up with the GGSX stuff.

It's incredibly easy to swap the output shaft.. a few bolts and a circlip.

I think i have about a dozen spare output shafts kicking around, in case anyone ever needs one.

JCorbo25

The 22 spline transmission output shaft has been discontinued. I tried to get one for my tranny rebuild but they are no more.

You can still get new 23 spline shafts though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts