The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission Issues

holeshotmoe

Edited this down some....
I'm having a trans issue and would appreciate input/recommendations. Its a GVR4 trans in a 1g. Is supposed to be a Shep trans. I've been having some dialogue with them (Shep Transmission) and it seems like they're not interested in rebuilding it...too busy. I was hoping they might be willing to give me a break because it shouldn't be having issues this soon to begin with...but it's sounding like that might be a pipe dream. :-O If you have ideas what could be causing the problem, chime in.
= = =
The shifter vibrates when under load or when decelerating in 3rd & 4th gears. I made slight adjustment to the linkage which reduced it but did not completely eliminate it. After this adjustment I noticed some vibration of the stick in 5th gear. I could move the stick a very small amount to eliminate it. It felt almost like the fork might be riding on a synchronizer. Then next time I had to drive it, as I accelerated quickly in the ramp lane I felt the stick actually move, and then I could feel it vibrate a lot even under light load and decelerating . So I limped it to a parking lot and had it towed.
At home I drained the trans. It contained what appeared to be aluminum metal flake but no large or magnetic pieces. Next I pulled the side cover off to see if the bolts on the ends of the input and intermediate shafts had come loose. They appeared to be nicely staked and could not have moved. So I reinstalled the side cover and dropped the transmission.

The trans is from a GVR4, 91 to early 92. Also, forgot to mention this before but it has a tall 5th in it. Thanks

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

I haven't replied yet. By the way, the car is not a beater. It had like 49K when I bought it and is in the 60's now. Edit: I just checked and it has 77K on it, little more than I thought.

Last edited:

brisvr4

The symptoms that you mention (gear stick moving in 4th) makes me think that the input or intermediate shaft nuts are coming loose.
They are fairly easy to check, just pull the end cover off of the box and check them both. They are both staked nuts so it is easy enough to see if they have moved.
Worst case is that they have moved around enough to stuff the bearings in there.
Do not drive it again until you check though!

holeshotmoe

Thanks for the reply but I already checked them. Bolts are cleanly staked in place. It feels almost like the shift forks are riding against the gears/synchronizers. And if I put it in first and let the clutch out gently, it is hard to take out of gear. But if I put it in reverse and let the clutch out just until it grabs, I can then move to any gear with ease. So it does in fact give symptoms like the shafts are moving back/forth. I wonder if it's possible for a gear to shift position on the input shaft???

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

Does anyone have good shots of the internal shifting mechanisms they could send me? I ordered a trans from jacks, but in the meantime I'd like to have some pictures to analyze until I tear mine apart. I have the service drawings and a few pictures I found from other's rebuilds, but looking for some hi-res pictures of the internal shift controls and how they connect to the forks. Post here, pm or email to [email protected] Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned