The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission issues *FIXED*

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I think I have an issue with the shifter cables but I'm not sure yet.
It doesn't want to go smoothly into reverse and it doesn't go into 1st, 2nd or 5th.
If I put it into 2nd or 4th then it goes into 1st, 3rd, or 5th but not all the time.

I want to order new cables but I don't know which ones.
The code on the transmission is KW5M332NPZS and below that KD7195.

According to the HowTo section the transmission is out of a
US TEL 1G 3/89 - 6/90 (shift link) -> w5m332npzs

Now which cables do I order from extreme?

The 3/1/89' to 6/1/90' Eclipse or the 6/2/90' to 5/3/93' Eclipse

I don't think the cables were ever changed on this car so I'm assuming that when the previous owner/s changed the transmission from a 91 to a 90 the shifter bracket from the 91 was swapped on the 90.

Should I take pics of the bracket and post it here? Any of you guys know the difference between a 89-90 and 90-93?

Last edited:

004tsi

the 90 bracket has a longer arm, and i believe the shifter assembly is specific to 90 or 91+ so I would guess you need the later ones, have you tried adjusting them first?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Do you have a direct link to it? I can't seem to find it on vfaq.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Got it, thanks. I kept looking under drivetrain.
I hope its only an adjustment problem but I don't think that is the problem. It happened way to sudden so I think something is broken/torn.
I will try adjusting it tomorrow morning to see if fixes the problem.

I found links on dsmtuners and vfaq that shows the difference between the 89-90 and 90-93

differences 1
differences 2

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Nope doesn't move in 5th at all.
I tried adjusting the cables yesterday but they were spot on. I got the new ones from extremepsi today. Will put them on before the weekend and I'll report back.

Does reverse gear grind? If so, and the rest of the gears 'block' you from going in, I would say that could be a clutch problem. Try replacing the cables first as that is always a good thing to do anyway, but if it's still there the problem could be clutch related IMO.

Jack

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting Jackstrans:
Does reverse gear grind? If so, and the rest of the gears 'block' you from going in, I would say that could be a clutch problem. Try replacing the cables first as that is always a good thing to do anyway, but if it's still there the problem could be clutch related IMO.Jack

Reverse grinds just a bit if I put in gear really fast but then again a lot of cars and especially dsm's do that.
If I push in the clutch and give it a second it will go in but it feels very funny, almost like a rubbery feel and the stick doesn't feel like it wants to go straight back. It kinda comes towards 3rd gear but it does go in.

I hope its a cables since I almost had the same symptoms with my 91 gsx and it turned out to be the cables. And its a lot easier/cheaper (for me at least) to change the cables instead of dropping the transmission.

As far as the clutch setup goes its an ACT street disk, CenterForce DFX pressure plate, Fidanza flywheel, new slave cylinder, and braided steel line from master to slave. About 3800 miles on this setup. Pedal feels very good, no leaks in the system, no noises.

I will update this thread on Sunday after I put the new cables in.

Thanks for the replies guys and especially you Jack, I feel so special. lol

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting Hksvr4:
Try taking the cables off and shift the gears by hand.

I did that and the levers moved just fine.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

So it turns out it wasn't in my head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I yanked the old cables out about a week and a half ago but didn't get a chance to put the new ones in until last week.
And I decided to do it on the coldest day of the year (8* but with the wind it felt like 2*).

Froze my ass really bad but it was worth it.
I had it all done but it was so cold that when it came to put in the cotter pins I could not hold them anymore so I finished the job today since it was warm (33*).

Without any adjustments I got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th but no reverse.
After adjusting the side to side movement got all gears to work and feels like new again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts