The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission Install advice

ade

wow its all coming back to me after reading ^ i def had my motor laying on the sub frame in order to get the trans in there.

NYC86ZC

Tim, if I head up to Rochester again I'll buy you a few rounds at the bar.

I started on it about ten minutes ago. I have solid mounts and all I did was remove the pins from the front and rear mounts. Slid the engine forward about an inch or two and that's all it took. I put on the trans clocked a bit and then just slid it back on the dowels.

Time to button it all back up again.

Thanks all.

Quoting GreenGSX:
Remove the front and rear engine mount pins and let the engine sit down on the cross members. If the drivers side engine mount is factory old leave it in place. Otherwise, guys with urethane or window welded drivers engine mounts will want to remove it as well. Next, pry the engine towards the radiator. All you need is a little extra room to clear the front sub-frame. Then turn the trans mission so te the diff is slightly upwards and jack it up, from underneath, into place just above where it would normally sit on the engine. Then raise the engine up to meet the transmission. From the top passenger side lean over and "pick-and-turn" the transmission onto the dowels. Secure those with bolts then lower the whole assembly back into the motor mounts.

That's what's always worked for me. It requires draining the radiator and a few extra steps with the motor mounts but it does work. Lately, as I've gotten older I've been just pulling and installing the motor/transmission together. There are more steps to pulling the engine with the transmission but in the end its much easier on my back. Also, if you don't have the gas struts on the hood you'll have to pull that as well.

Tim

diambo4life

I normally just lower the car low enough so I don't have to strain too much lifting the tranny from the ground into place. It is a slight PITA in the GVR4 for some reason compared to a 1G and I have stabbed trannies probably 1,000x.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts