The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans noise maybe pilot bearing???

deez

So I have this issue with the trans area. When the car is moving it is most noticeable, and its a whine when the clutch is in motion. When fully depressed, no noise. The shop I just talked to said if the noise occurred with the clutch full depressed, then most likely the throw out. But with the clutch in motion, most likely the pilot bearing. Any thoughts on this?

I've usually found that a bad TOB will sound like crickets when the clutch is out and then it'll go away when you press the clutch in. As far as I know we only have a throw out bearing, and there is no pilot bearing. How long has it been since you put a new one in and did you lube it up?

deez

I thought all cars had a pilot bearing where the trans meets the crank. But the noise isnt there when the clutch is pressed all the way in or all the way out, just in motion. And I cant say about the lube, I didnt put it together.

The way I understand it, a pilot bearing and a throw out bearing are pretty much the same thing. There's definitely a bearing on the input shaft of the transmission but I don't believe it's called a pilot bearing. A pilot bearing goes in the end of the crankshaft and we don't have them. Either way, sounds like your problem is inside the transmission or bellhousing so I'd just pull it off and take a look before whatever it is gets worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

Well. I think the pilot bearing would be defined as a bearing that is in a pilot hole. E.G. Old air cooled VWs. The input shaft has a small bit that sticks out on the end that goes into a hole on the end of the crankshaft flywheel bolt (there is only one, central bolt), and in the hole is a small needle bearing. The very end of the input shaft rides on that needle bearing. I guess it is a pilot hole for alignment, or some kinda small load. I don't know. The TOB is just like our cars, on a fork and depresses the clutch fingers.

Our cars do not have needle bearings in the end of the crankshaft, just the TOB that depresses the clutch fingers.

That being said. Any noise from that area that varies with any clutch pressure is probably the TOB. If the noise goes away only AFTER you fully disengage the clutch, I would suspect transmission input shaft bearings.

gtluke

wtf?
okay our cars have NO pilot bearing. it WOULD be a bearing that fit inside of the crankshaft. because if they extended the input shaft long enough to use one, it probably would prevent the trans from coming out of the car without taking the motor out.
TOB's are completely different, we have those and they are fantastic pieces of sh*t.

deez

grrr....I hate this car sometimes

2 piece input shaft = pilot bearing in end of crankshaft

1 piece input shaft = no pilot bearing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned